Travel to Bournemouth school for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
singinggirl

Re: Travel to Bournemouth school for girls

Post by singinggirl »

BSG is a great school, but it’s a state school so has full classes of 30-ish
girls, and a six form entry. I don’t think any subjects are more impressive than others, it is a fabulous schools with wonderful and kind teachers, and they produce confident, rounded girls with a great view on life. But I would echo the previous posters; you really do need to have a very good look at the website and visit the school to get as accurate a picture as you can. Have fun!
Mum2019

Post by Mum2019 »

Hi singinggirl,

Thank you for the very useful information, I did go to the school but was looking for feedback from parents who has Already sent DD to this school.

Kenyacowgirl did your DD go to this school?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Mum2019 wrote:Hi singinggirl,

Thank you for the very useful information, I did go to the school but was looking for feedback from parents who has Already sent DD to this school.

KCG doesn't have any children at this school and neither did I, we are probably a bit concerned about the journey that you are planning - the roads can be very busy around there and committing to doing this for 7 years is a big thing. Are there any local schools you have put on your CAF?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Looking via Google, the 07.01 train from Southampton seems to get into Bournmouth in good time to get a bus to the school? Trains usually cover distances much faster than buses - except when they are cancelled altogether, of course - although can be more expensive. At least now there is the 16-17 Saver railcard, which takes away some of the pain of a student potentially requiring an adult rate season ticket from early in the first term of year 11, depending on birthday (the £30 for the railcard needs to be taken into account).

A season ticket from somewhere on a train route into Bournemouth would make it easy to meet up with more local schoolfriends at the weekend and in the holidays.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mum2019

Post by Mum2019 »

hermanmunster wrote:

KCG doesn't have any children at this school and neither did I, we are probably a bit concerned about the journey that you are planning - the roads can be very busy around there and committing to doing this for 7 years is a big thing. Are there any local schools you have put on your CAF?
Understood, and appreciate the concern.
Looking at all the feedback and researching, if this is the only school we get offered in March then we will very likely move to Bournemouth rather than DD travelling.
Mum2019

Post by Mum2019 »

ToadMum wrote:Looking via Google, the 07.01 train from Southampton seems to get into Bournmouth in good time to get a bus to the school? Trains usually cover distances much faster than buses - except when they are cancelled altogether, of course - although can be more expensive. At least now there is the 16-17 Saver railcard, which takes away some of the pain of a student potentially requiring an adult rate season ticket from early in the first term of year 11, depending on birthday (the £30 for the railcard needs to be taken into account).

A season ticket from somewhere on a train route into Bournemouth would make it easy to meet up with more local schoolfriends at the weekend and in the holidays.

Did'nt know about season ticket , useful info. Thank you.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Mum2019 wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:

Understood, and appreciate the concern.
Looking at all the feedback and researching, if this is the only school we get offered in March then we will very likely move to Bournemouth rather than DD travelling.
Good move - TBH always better for adults to travel than children - hope all goes well
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mum2019 wrote:
ToadMum wrote:Looking via Google, the 07.01 train from Southampton seems to get into Bournmouth in good time to get a bus to the school? Trains usually cover distances much faster than buses - except when they are cancelled altogether, of course - although can be more expensive. At least now there is the 16-17 Saver railcard, which takes away some of the pain of a student potentially requiring an adult rate season ticket from early in the first term of year 11, depending on birthday (the £30 for the railcard needs to be taken into account).

Did'nt know about season ticket , useful info. Thank you.
According to the GWR website, an annual child rate season ticket Southampton Central - Bournemouth is £1446, then there would be the bus to add on. You can play around with starting stations and duration of ticket. November 5th - December 20th (assuming that the school is currently on half term) would be £212, for instance.

It's still at least three-quarters of an hour on the train, plus a bus ride, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
GinDoll

Post by GinDoll »

Hi

If it's not too late to help, my daughter started in year 7 in October and is enjoying it. There's some negatives which I've tried to outline below...

Regarding travel, my daughter catches one of the buses operated by More Bus. If you look them up it should show you the routes and prices, I think we're going to be paying at least £1k in bus fares per year.
Last edited by GinDoll on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GinDoll

Post by GinDoll »

The other down sides for us have been -
- The early starts, the bus makes a lot of stops so we have to get up early and it's been painful for us, especially now it's so dark in the morning.
- My daughter not being able to do any after school clubs because I can't collect her and the bus she has to catch leaves just after school finishes.
- For me personally, I feel far away from the school. - - There feels like there is a disconnect because its so far away. One of my other children goes to a local secondary school and I feel I have a much better relationship with them because if that child forgets something (which happens frequently) I'll pop it in, bump into teachers, have a chat etc.
- My daughter wanted to go to BSG but none of her friends went and although the transition to seniors can be difficult I think this made it worse for her. She has no friends at all for the first week, and worse, her friends from Juniors took a while to forgive her for leaving them (they all went to the local school together).
- The new friends she now has she will probably only see in school until she's a few years older, they're too far away for her to make casual arrangements by herself to see.
- The uniform can only be bought from one shop which was a pain when my daughter urgently needed a new skirt.
- Year 7s have to attend swimming lessons, these are always one day a week in the morning and registration is done there. This means parents are responsible for getting the girls there for 8.30am. There is no school bus, this means once a week I have to drive her over to Bournemouth. We leave early enough so the way over there is easy enough but the way back to where I live OOC is pretty dire.