Bournemouth School 11+ tests in September, 2022

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
b_m_t

Bournemouth School 11+ tests in September, 2022

Post by b_m_t »

Looking ahead to next year: I am just wondering if there's anyone else on here whose son is going to be sitting the grammar school selection tests at Bournemouth School on Saturday, 24th September 2022? Perhaps having this specific, focused thread for the event might be useful for us parents.
DinasaurGrrr

Re: Bournemouth School 11+ tests in September, 2022

Post by DinasaurGrrr »

Hello.

Yes my daughter will be sitting the exam this year! It suddenly seems to have come round really soon.

This doesn't seem to be a very busy board but was going to ask people where they're at at revision/tests . We've had some mock tests but I am wondering if the tuition schools view of the pass mark is accurate or a bit lower!

We dont want to cram every night but its hard knowing what to do during the week ontop of school. I don't want to "ruin" the summer holidays but want to dedicate maybe some time each morning. 30-45mins maybe? I dont know!
b_m_t

Post by b_m_t »

The selection test results are standardised (I always thought it was by the four schools in the Consortium, but lately Bournemouth School seems to be referring to national standardisation). Either way, it depends on the overall cohort rather than a specific pass mark.

This page has a section on the summer holidays:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepa ... -in-year-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At one extreme, I know someone who did no preparation during the summer holidays, crammed through September, and got in. At the other extreme, I also know someone whose parents wrote a 'social contract' with them and made them take some practice questions away on their family holiday so they worked on their 11+ for 45 minutes every single day of the school holidays. Surely your daughter's well-being should be the priority - including Year 6 overall, beyond 24th September.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

b_m_t wrote:At the other extreme, I also know someone whose parents wrote a 'social contract' with them and made them take some practice questions away on their family holiday so they worked on their 11+ for 45 minutes every single day of the school holidays. Surely your daughter's well-being should be the priority - including Year 6 overall, beyond 24th September.
What plan do these people have for the eventuality that their DC do actually get in to the school, I wonder? Definitely a case of, I want a grammar school place for my DC rather than, Having looked at local schools, I believe that grammar school and my DC would be a good fit for each other.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
DinasaurGrrr

Post by DinasaurGrrr »

We have a child already at grammar and Im convinced it would be great for child 2.

I am trying to decide on which school to have as "plan b" qnd that is much less clear cut. We are poole based so have magna/st edwards reallh or maybe poole high.

Definitely mental health is the most important thing. We've had a look at some maths todqyand even though we've not done lots I can see she's improved.

Im curious where children need to be on mocks. Its hard to know if we are "doing enough'!

My child's tricky area seems to be vocab despite reading lots so will try and work on some english with her in the summer. Her school does so much comprehension Im surprised they're not all acing it!
P11mum

Post by P11mum »

With only three weeks left, i wonder how much we should be practising and what sort of scores they should be getting in practice papers to have a good chance of passing the exams in the Bournemouth grammar schools. I dont want to do too much with DS but also i dont want to slow down too much, jeopardising the several months of work we have done. It would be good to see how others are doing in the final sprint towards a finishing line of a long journey called 11 plus exam preparation.
Jced79

Post by Jced79 »

How did your children find the whole experience yesterday? Obviously don’t discuss specifics of the papers.
DinasaurGrrr

Post by DinasaurGrrr »

Hi I just started another thread to say this without seeing this one! Oops.

My daughter found English harder than expected and didn't quite finish ish vr and maths.

We're trying to think through if we would appeal or stick with Magna!
Bourne Mum

Post by Bourne Mum »

It’s my fourth and final time going through this. ☺️ The Dorset forum is always so quiet.
DinasaurGrrr

Post by DinasaurGrrr »

Wow 4 times!!

Yes there doesn't seem to many on this forum from Dorset. How did yours get on? I'm finding the wait so hard. And keep googling appeal procedures but not sure we'd get anywhere if she doesn't actually pass!

Where did your other 3 go? What's your Plan B school?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now