Bournemouth School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Clare

Post by Clare »

Hi Dorset Parent

With two months left you have enough time to speed her up.

My daughter was having problems with speed and after plenty of practice she has suddenly speeded up.Yesterday she finished a paper with 20 minutes to spare( Unheard of!).

I would buy the IPS daily books to take away with you.Have you thought of buying the CD from here as they time the different types. You will see which ones she is particularly slow on and do more practice on these.

Good Luck :D
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Dorset parent,

Really agree with Clare. Two months is enough to subtantially improve performance.
I was a bit in the same situation last year. My son had been to a tutor group previously but I realised with horror a few weeks before the exams that the tutor was no good. We had a month to go for the Bucks exam, two for the Slough one.
With regular practice (one hour/day) my son's scores improved drastically. I must say that I was spending a lot of time preparing material that would target his main weakenesses so that we didn't loose any time.

There are a quite a few recent threads in the Maths and NVR sections about similar questions, but don't hesitate to ask if you need help.

Catherine
Dorset Parent

Post by Dorset Parent »

Many thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate the practical advice you have given me. And I am looking at other parts of the forum too. I never realised how extensive it is.

Do I assume that the Bond book on Verbal Reasoning with short 10 minute tests is not ideal for Nfer test. I looked at it and it seemed quite relevant.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Dorset Parent

Bond is NOT relevant to NFER VR

Patricia
usa

Post by usa »

Hallo Dorset Parent - (you are becoming quite famous......being the only one on your site sitting the exam!)
We all do know how you are feeling - we have all been there. Sometimes it feels like you are punching your way out of a wet paper bag, doesn't it? There is just such a lot of ground to cover, and seemingly time is eating away. You do have enough time - but you will have to make wise time of it. Have a lovely time at half term - but the VR books will have to be packed as well! Good idea for the IPS daily.
If you register as a member (down the bottom of the page), I can message you the timetable I have used recently, as my son is also doing Maths as well as VR. It is too long to put on here, but it may well help you keep on the right road and focussed on what you are doing.
Keep smiling - you can achieve that goal!
USA
Dorset Parent (Bmth)

Post by Dorset Parent (Bmth) »

How weird - I registered yesterday (hope I did it right as it was a bit scary!) and posted a reply to USA but it hasn't appeared! If you can, send me your timetable USA, but it may depress me! I've got the IPS daily VR book from this site now. I note your unusual times of posting - but you are in a different time zone! Good news in that my daughter today finished a practice English paper for the first time in time and now I know what needs to be practiced more (grammar and punctuation). Maths is still a real struggle though. Here goes - will this post appear?!
Dorset Parent

Post by Dorset Parent »

Problem with my user name solved. I have re-registered .
Danger

Selective Scores

Post by Danger »

Anyone know what the cut off selective scores were last year in each subject, particularly the maths and English?
usa

Post by usa »

Dear Dorset Parent
Just to say good luck today for your daughters exams - this is one we have all been following with interest!
Let us know how it all goes in the morning and how she felt about it!
Good luck!
USA
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Good luck to your daughter, Dorset Parent.

Best wishes

Catherine
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now