Bournemouth School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dorset Parent

Post by Dorset Parent »

USA and Catherine - I have only now just checked the Dorset section not thinking anyone would have posted anything but wondering if anyone else had recorded their experiences today. What a lovely surprise. Thanks so much for your good wishes.

I have been thinking of you too USA - I read in another post in another region that you are expecting your results soon. Have you got them yet?

Well - I did post my reaction in a general post as I had given up on the Dorset section!

Maths - hard but finished paper but guessed some.
English - 2 comprehensions - wasn't expecting that and she would rather have had some more general questions like in the practice papers. Did her best.
English essay - enjoyed doing it and felt she did well.
VR - paper did not include questions she was best at. Harder than she expected. Did not finish and (horror of horrors) she thinks she missed 30 out, although she did go through it and did the ones she could do more easily first. You can imagine how I felt when she said that , but I hid my feelings! I've got an explanation from Patricia on my other post as to why the paper did not include certain question types. I didn't realise that would happen.

My daughter is feeling fine about it all and has enjoyed the rest of the day. Her best friend is sleeping over as a treat and she is happy. I don't know how I feel really - kind of numb and tired. I am glad that she has done the tests but I feel I already know the outcome. In fact I am quite happy to wait until 1st March to get the results. At the moment I have no desire to know!!

Many many thanks for your kind wishes today. I appreciate it.
Bournemouth

Post by Bournemouth »

Good luck Dorset parent. When my son came out of the Bournemouth tests last year we hadn't even left the hall when he asked me how do you spell 'surprise', has it got two 'p's? He had marked the word 'suprise' as a wrong spelling in the English paper thinking it should be 'supprise' (because of the short sounding 'u'). So as it turned out he was right to mark it as a wrong spelling but after that I decided I didn't want to hear anymore about individual questions because I knew, if he had told me any questions he had got wrong, I would be turning them around and around in my head every night!
He did tell me a few things he had included in his essay which pleased me so I was feeling quite relaxed about it.
For me, by the time March came round, the whole grammar school thing seemed far less important than it did during the months looking at schools and preparing for tests. And after the allocation of schools were made, other than the day of the results, there was really no mention of it from any other parents. Once the allocation is made everyone just gets on with it whatever school they get and you wonder why you were so stressed about it.
What I am trying to say is, I think you are right to forget about the whole thing and try not to ask your daughter too many questions. You're passed the worst and well done to you and your daughter for all the hard work.
Put your feet up!
Dorset Parent

Post by Dorset Parent »

Thanks for that, Bournemouth parent. It is useful to have your perspective as someone who has been through all this. When did your results come through? I am assuming they come on the same day as allocation day - 1st March.

It would be great to have any comments from other parents in the Bournemouth area whose girls took the test last Saturday!
Bournemouth

Post by Bournemouth »

The results were posted on March 1st and arrived on March 2nd. The school were given a list by Christmas though showing Band A, Band B and Band C. I was told that some parents asked the school whether they had been asked for a reference for their child by the grammar. I don't know whether this is true but I didn't want to ask anyway, didn't seem much point.
My son wanted to open the letter himself but in the post I also received a heavy A4 envelope with Bournemouth School postmark which was the welcome pack so I managed to avoid having to steam open the letter!
By the way, I know some of his friends who missed and guessed a number of questions and still got offered places at the boys.
Dorset Parent

Post by Dorset Parent »

Many thanks for this, fellow Bournemouth parent. I now know what to expect! Thanks for all your help.

I have spoken to 2 people whose children took the test on Saturday. Both said that their children thought the Verbal Reasoning was particulary hard and that others had said the same too. Why on earth did those settting the test do this? It is hard enough already. Rhetorical question - no need for replies!
Bournemouth Dad

Post by Bournemouth Dad »

Hi Bournemouth and Dorset Parents ... and all reading this of course!

I've just discovered this site ... funny how you start trawling the net and just about evry book shop you walk past, in the months leading up to the 11+.

My daughter will be sitting the 11+ for Bournemouth School For Girls in November and I've read all you posts & replies with interest. I just wondered if you still log-on and also wondered how your daughter did.

Rgds
Dorset Dad
Bournemouth Dad
Bournemouth

Post by Bournemouth »

Hi Bournemouth Dad,

Yes, still logging on occasionally. My daughter will sit the tests at BSG next year (if she likes the school when we look round, fingers crossed).
It becomes a bit of a project doesn't it.

Good luck to your daughter. Please let us know how she gets on and how she finds the tests.
Bournemouth Dad

BSG / BSB

Hi Bournemouth ... Sorry, I mis-read your posts and meant to ask how your Son did.

I guess you're already starting to prepare your daughter now. I keep feeling that we've left it a bit late, but better late than never. Thanks for the good wishes and of course I'll let you know and pass-on any tips that we pick up along the way.

I was feeling really good about the whole thing, but my daughter did a maths paper last night when I was travelling back from work and made loads of mistakes ... really frustrating as she knew how to do them when we talked it through later on.

Literacy is fine as she's already achieving level 6 standard (doesn't get that from me!), but as with most girls, maths is taking more work.
Bournemouth

Post by Bournemouth »

My son passed the BSB entrance exam and is enjoying life very much at Bournemouth School. I didn't start preparing till late with him so it was a bit of a cram. I'm really just trying to encourage my daughter to read plenty at this stage to improve her vocab. Her maths is good. Son's writing was always his problem so he had lots of practice at that.
Level 6 for English sounds fab! Have you tried the IPS maths papers? I think they are very similar to the Nfers but only 1/2 hour long so ideal for after school.
Bournemouth Dad

It's all over

Hooray ... 11 + day was the day before yesterday and it's now all over. If any children read these posts, then really well done at the weekend ... you should be very proud of yourselves.

I really felt for the children who looked worried going into the school for the test, one or two actually being sick. I hope that all are well now and starting to forget all about it. Thankfully our daughter managed to avoid the nerves and has come through the whole process feeling pretty good. She has obvious concernes about how well / poorly she did, but I guess that's natural.

Good luck to anyone who tries next year !
Bournemouth Dad
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now