Parkstone entrance test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scarymary

Parkstone entrance test

Post by scarymary »

Sorry everyone - I'm probably being a bit thick here - But what does the entrance test 'pass mark' for this school mean? I've heard scores such as 128 and 134 mentioned, but have no idea what they mean.
I know there are two tests: VR and NVR. Is the pass mark simply the scores from these two papers added together and standardised for age?
And how many questions are there in each test?
paula

Post by paula »

Hi Scarymary
Thought I'd post as DD took test but her memory is hazy to say the least- relief that its over I think.
She can remember NVR is just two timed sections and each section is a single type of question.
VR about six different types no time limit on each section.
Each test was about 45-50 mins.
The one thing she remembers clearly were the nice chocolate brownies and flapjacks the girls were given during their break!
Not much help sorry :-([/img]
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

Thanks for the info Paula, much appreciated. Any idea how your daughter's pass mark related to her test scores?
Chocolate brownies eh? Yum!
paula

Post by paula »

Poole admissions or PGS don't give out scores unless you ring and ask. Decided don't want to know just glad she's got a place. I can tell you that in her last practice tests she was scoring 93 VR and 91 NVR.
You could always ring PGS and ask re your situation ie out of Poole.
We were sent some info with our offer letter which I can summarise as:

168 places available
409 girls applied
124 of those from out of Poole.
202 met academic standard - no info on whether in or out of Poole
194 of those put PGS as 1st choice
Offered 165 place to 1st choice apps
Offered 3 places to 2nd choice girls.
No info at all about where those girls live.

If I were you I would try PGS or Poole Admissions to see if you can find out how many non Poole girls are in that 168.

We were really lucky to be given a place at our local over-subscribed Poole Middle 5 weeks before the tests.
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

I've tried asking the admissions office at the school, but they won't give anything away. Thanks for your info though, it gives a bit of clarification - it's so hard to find any info at all about the Dorset grammar schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now