Borderline scores Southend grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TheDude

Borderline scores Southend grammars

Post by TheDude »

My son missed the magic 303 by 0.3 of a mark.

Does anyone know if it is worth trying to argue for a place at WHSB seeing as the two Southend schools will not fill their IC spaces?
bittenfingernails

Re: Borderline scores Southend grammars

Post by bittenfingernails »

As far as I can glean, very few appeals (if any) have been won on not quite meeting the threshold. A friend of a friend knows someone who marked the papers. She said that those with borderline scores are checked and rechecked by more than one person to ensure there hasn't been a mistake. However, if I was in your shoes, I would almost certainly contact the school where the exam was set and ask them to consider remarking the paper.
Totallyutterly

Post by Totallyutterly »

Shoebury grammar stream has also
Accepted under 303 last year.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

TheDude wrote:My son missed the magic 303 by 0.3 of a mark.

Does anyone know if it is worth trying to argue for a place at WHSB seeing as the two Southend schools will not fill their IC spaces?
Sadly, the number of spaces available for priority area applicants is 'a maximum of...' , with any remaining places being offered to OOC applicants.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

Our head told us they might support an appeal within 0.5 of 303 but that there would have to be extenuating circumstances. Your raw scores would indicate a standardised score of 295.04 before age standardisation; were you always expecting a borderline score? I'm thinking an appeal panel would want to see extenuating circumstances at the time of sitting and a history of academic 'excellence'.

My understanding is you have to list the schools on the CAF and then appeal in March? An expert might correct this though.

Shoebury do take 'borderline passes'. Sorry, this must be really stressful.
TheDude

Post by TheDude »

Well we are in catchment for King John so it it is not the end of the world. I am only willing to consider WHSB and would not want to inflict a commute from Benfleet to Shoebury on my son.
Oguledoen

Post by Oguledoen »

TheDude wrote:Well we are in catchment for King John so it it is not the end of the world. I am only willing to consider WHSB and would not want to inflict a commute from Benfleet to Shoebury on my son.
King Johns is by miles better than Shoebury. Forget this "grammer stream" line, it does not exist on ground. They literary merge all kids by set and not admission criteria. The 11 scores for ( shoebury, STM,SB) is only used for admission when the location/ religious criteria is not met.

With regards to the appeal, I will give it a go if I were you but would not raise DDs hope. There is nothing to lose in my humble opinion