Students from the same primary school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kon

Students from the same primary school

Post by Kon »

I am told there are likely to be 4 students from DS’s (including himself) school going to KEGS next year. DS is keen to be in the same class at the first year as at least one other child among them. Is it reasonable to have such desire and will the school entertain such this based on any previous experience? If so what is the correct and effective channel to make such request?

Thanks
KB

Re: Students from the same primary school

Post by KB »

In my experience the school will have a policy on this which won't be adjusted as a result of personal requests unless there was some very particular reason.
At CRGS the policy used to be to split them up wherever possible. This was to give everyone a fresh start and put everyone in the same position of needing to make new friends.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SHSB - at least up until 2014 entry - asked both whether there was a connection to a particular House and if there was anyone with whom the boy would like to be placed (since forms are set up in pairs of houses, complying with the second request would not necessarily be compatible with complying with placing on the basis of the first, however). This was asked in the post-allocation paperwork and i have no idea whether the 'friend' question is still asked.

So different schools obviously do things differently.

Be aware, though, that friendships are usually very much diluted in the move to secondary school, anyway.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
marigold

Post by marigold »

Hi

When my son went to KEGS ( admittedly a while ago,as he is now in his second year at university) the classes were arranged according to which language they would be studying in year 7 , French or German. We did have an opportunity to express a preference about this before they started but I think most boys were happy to be allocated whatever they were given. There is an extra class now so things may be different.
My son went with two others from his primary and was in a different class from both but please be reassured , your son will very quickly make new friends. There will be boys coming as the only one from their primary school and everyone will be eager to make new friends.
I think the school still runs a sports course in the Easter holidays to which those who have been given a place for the following September are invited. My son went , despite being amongst the least sporty boys in Essex, in order to meet some of the other boys who would be with him in September. He met boys there who are still his closest friends, possibly because they also are couple of the least sporty boys in Essex !
Kon

Post by Kon »

Thanks for the replies from everyone. Interesting info especially the sport course in Easter. Will look out for this if they still do it. Thanks
T0tleybrook

Post by T0tleybrook »

KEGS boys are a friendly bunch. They will all be swapping numbers in no time, and chatting on social media, about homework, Fortnite, or whatever topic takes their fancy! They do mix people from other classes in some subjects, so your DS won’t stay with the same people in his form for every lesson. It’s a wonderful school, and he will love his time there.
kegboys

Post by kegboys »

My son had 4 boys from his junior school go to kegs, he is in same class as one junior school boys but the 2 others are in different classes, you find they may stick with junior school friends for a week or so the make new friends, our class is very friendly and the parents have a WhatsApp chat and are very friendly too
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My daughter (now 30) was the only one from her primary school in her class.
By the first half term she had made new friends and still keeps in regular touch with 3 of them.
Kon

Post by Kon »

Great info from all. Thanks. He feels quite relaxed about it now and I am sure he will find new friends there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now