303 Score - Raw marks Request

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ayparents

Re: 303 Score - Raw marks Request

Post by ayparents »

From 2019 entry onwards, there are additional marks to cater for age standardisation.

Finger in the air, compared to a Sep born DC, an Aug born DC would gain additional 11 (approx) age standardised marks.

I.e. if your DC was born around end of August, please feel to add another 11 marks to your standardised score.
kegboys

Post by kegboys »

You cannot assume age standardisation will work the same each year, they have to look at the whole set of results and then run statistical analysis...you never know it may work a different way in future years so I wouldn't bank on any extra points just because born later in year as they may change that in some years if can't prove children born in later years are disadvantaged.
ayparents

Post by ayparents »

OSA decision w.r.t age standardisation in CSSE exams URL:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... h_2018.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please find below a snippet of decision copied from URL above.

41.I do uphold the seventh aspect of the objection, that the lack of any age standardisation of the test results is unfair to summer-born girls. Most 11 plus test providers do standardise for age. The school has argued that this is unnecessary for their tests, as statistical analysis undertaken on its behalf does not show any correlation between date of birth and test result. Examination of this analysis by a professional statistician at the DfE has shown that analysis to be flawed. The same statistical tests applied correctly to the same data show that there is a correlation and a smaller proportion of summer-born girls than would be expected obtain places at the school. I find that this is unfair to summer-born girls.

Based on my understanding, it seems the age standardisation will be there for future years (rather than something which will be decided every year by CSSE). Apparently all 11+ Test results are age standardised. Based on some replies on the threads on this forum, there seem to be good few marks added for younger kids for 2019 entry.

W.r.t the number of marks added would vary year on year, it seems 2019 entry results suggest it would be around 11 marks. Since this is the first year of age standardisation in CSSE, there is nothing much else to compare against. It would probably be good to factor in these standardised marks as well while preparing for exams.

Hope I am NOT wrong and anyone with additional information can opine as well.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The way standardisation works is that a statistical analysis is run to see if there is a difference. If there is, the scores will be standardised. In the unlikely event that there is no difference there will be no standardisation. The difference in raw scores needed for different age children could vary widely from year to year.
scary mum
anonymparent

Post by anonymparent »

scary mum wrote:The way standardisation works is that a statistical analysis is run to see if there is a difference. If there is, the scores will be standardised. In the unlikely event that there is no difference there will be no standardisation. The difference in raw scores needed for different age children could vary widely from year to year.
+1

I would not suggest preparing for the exam, hoping for some additional marks because of age standardisation.

I am not against standardisation and my DS is actually summer born who had benefited from the age standardisation applied for 2019 entry cohort.
But I had prepared my son for the exam with no hope of any additional marks.
Please note that sometimes age standardisation may not be few additional marks, but rather a comparison of a child's performance against other pupils of the same age (year and month).

Sometimes this age standardisation gives a false hope to the child, my DS many times telling me that "I would get some additional marks because of my age", though I am not sure where he got to know that from. Both me and spouse had to correct him all the time that you may or may not get any advantage because of your age, but would get definite advantage of focus and preparation. They are still young at 10
JosieC

Post by JosieC »

I concur with anonymparent, scary mum and kegboys- age standardisation is NOT a given. CSSE will carry out analysis on results every year and will ONLY age standardise if their analysis shows there is a statistical difference.