Essex scores October 2021

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PipeDream

Re: Essex scores October 2021

Post by PipeDream »

What makes you think the papers are easier? How would anyone know?! (Forgive my ignorance if I'm missing something obvious, this is my first child to go through this.)
MrsHHH

Post by MrsHHH »

Yes I was wondering the same? My DD performed better in the mocks that were past papers from last year?!
woodmf28

Post by woodmf28 »

oh i was only thinking, same raw score, used on last year's formula, the standardised scores were higher...

but as I said I don't know I could be more complicated than just weighing the difficulties in paper. it's just my son said English was similar math was easier than last year. couple of his friends said similar things.

I was just wondering. first child without any previous experience either...
PipeDream

Post by PipeDream »

Fair enough, I hadn't really realised the scores were coming up lower, can't honestly say I have any idea how they work them out! So you think it may mean lower score boundaries getting in?
woodmf28

Post by woodmf28 »

I have no idea. :D I wonder if someone could predict or know better? :lol:

if you look at the formula it was used to calculate the standardised score, all factors will affect the final total score.

but if generally everyone's standardised scores are lower, could that bring the cut off lower??? just wondering...
LJJJ

Post by LJJJ »

KittyGHG wrote:
LJJJ wrote:The letter says ‘the pattern this year may not be the same as in previous years’ and that ‘there’s no guarantee of a school place based on historical information’. Do you reckon 316 in catchment would be enough for SHSG?

They put that caveat in every year - i think just to cover themselves. was there no traffic light info this year ( there wasnt for 2021 entry supposedly b/c we had submitted our preferences before exam results were known
When my son did it a couple of years ago the results letter said 303 was a pass if you were in catchment. There’s no number in this year’s letter-just says you’ll only find out when the schools issue places on 1 March. There wasn’t any traffic light table either
WorryWorryWorry

Post by WorryWorryWorry »

English 35
Maths 55

Was really surprised at how high standardised score was - 4 years ago my scored higher in the raw score but was lower in standardised but I suppose you should never compare. Was also surprised that you can get a high score even tho the results are so lopsided.

Very proud parent as he wasn’t coached or tutored, wonder what he could have achieved in English with coaching????. Glad we’ve not got to do it again!

Well done to all the children! Just sitting an exam like that and coming out feeling ok is a huge achievement at the age of 10!
PipeDream

Post by PipeDream »

Now this is interesting, so some thinking standardised score is low and others thinking high, does this maybe mean that age adjustment may have definitely played a factor this year then? I agree that we should all just be super proud of them for sitting something so big and coming out smiling whatever the result.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Think of the standardised score more as a ranking of the candidates sitting the test. It places them on a bell curve where most pupils will be located around the centre (average). The cohort sitting an 11+ test are likely to be very strong academically but they still need to be stretched out over the bell curve.

A low standardised score in the 11+ should not be seen as a poor performance. If these lower scorers were standardised against the general population their scores would be at the top end of the scale.
woodmf28

Post by woodmf28 »

I agree I think it is the age adjustment. If you look 2017 standardised scores are lower.

But same raw score in last year’s exam got you a higher standardised score that is what makes me think perhaps this year the exams are easier.

If everyone got lower standardised scores compared to last year could that mean a bit lower cut off ?

So complicated! Could it be simpler just use raw scores? No adjustment at all? Don’t get me wrong my child is summer born so benefit from the age adjustment but I still think it is just easier to rank the raw scores! Lol