Maths/English large difference

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WorryWorryWorry

Maths/English large difference

Post by WorryWorryWorry »

Hi

My son got 55 in maths but only 35 in English (2022 admission so 350 in total) - do you think he will find the English lessons hard when he gets to grammar school? His English is clearly way lower than his maths. He didn’t have any tutoring for the 11+ (just the practise papers on the website) but now I’m wondering if we should get him an English tutor to help his basic understanding a bit more.

What do you think? I just don’t want him to struggle in the long term and if 8 weeks of extra lessons mean the foundation is there then is it worth it it?

Thanks
2020D2022S

Re: Maths/English large difference

Post by 2020D2022S »

Strength in math is strength in math only. But weakness in English could mean difficulty in Arts, Literature, History, Geography, Sciences, etc. - all of these areas require some competitive ability of articulation. Can it be improved - Yes. But looking at this as "English" difficulty - and looking to fix it as an "English" only problem, might not be very wise.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
solimum

Post by solimum »

Just read to him, and find some books or magazines he enjoys reading or get him to read out loud to a younger sibling or cousin/friend's child. Start him on Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, books about football, cars, dinosaurs, aliens, cooking, whatever he's interested in. Visit the library and join a reading challenge, or make up your own. "English" is the language he should be surrounded by and at this age (and indeed IMHO at almost any age) is much easier to improve by reading, speaking and writing than by studying as a dry academic subject. A wide general knowledge, and a wide vocabulary, is far more important than any definition of fronted adverbials.
bridge

Post by bridge »

Strength in Maths is strength in Chemistry, Biology, Physics, DT etc etc. Also it's very helpful in life in general. As is English. If he does have a weakness best to get it addressed. Early intervention can really benefit a child. What you choose to do will depend on where he really needs the help. Best go through a KS2 syllabus book or get a tutor to look at it. IMO though, nothing beats a parent's help - if possible.
WorryWorryWorry

Thank you. I asked at school and they advised that the average mark for English this year was about 31 (I’m off to check this on the csse site) therefore - a score of 35 is actually above the average and only sounds low in comparison with the maths score and that I shouldn’t worry?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You may find a change in teaching style once at secondary makes a big difference (and could be +ve or -ve).

DDs strength was maths at primary too, English was not as good but still above average. She even had her year 5 teacher say that she would probably struggle to get into GS as he didn’t think her English was good enough (the fact that the 11+ was GL VR and NVR was a little lost on him). Previously her year 4 teacher had said she should have no issues so he was ignored.

Secondary school teaching of English is quite different, and back in the days they did levels, she jumped a full level in a term.

She did both English and Maths at A level.
clairew

Post by clairew »

I don’t think this would necessarily be an issue. My son is now in year 9 at Kegs and I have found that all the boys have strengths in different subjects. The school
understand this and accommodate the differences. What I would also say is that my son was always better at maths and scored higher on the maths than the English but I now believe this was largely down to the way he was taught English in primary school. His level in maths and English is comparable after being at the school for the last couple of years. By the way, 35 is not a low score and it doesn’t mean he is weak in English.
WorryWorryWorry

Thank you Claire. Really appreciate your msg. Thanks.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Just to add WorryWorryWorry - his results look remarkably like mine when I was that age - primary school end of year exams read Maths 98% English 48%.
I got high grades in all science / maths / humanities at senior school but - ahem - English and languages were rather "middling" . I suspect many of my classmates would have swapped their rather better English grades for the struggle they had over maths etc - I suspect ultimately you can learn the English language / grammar but it is not so easy if no basic ability in maths / science / problem solving.
woodmf28

Post by woodmf28 »

I would love to know how to improve my child's English. I know he won't go to tutors. He is a very reluctant reader. would not pick up a book unless I ask him to... I'm also concerned whether he would be able to cope with English in secondary school as I have heard that it would be a leap?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now