How bright is your CRGS son?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KB

Post by KB »

Sure it doesn't in so far as entry is purely by place on the order of merit - in effect the boys with the highest marks get a place!
Just need to make sure you complete the right forms - the CSSE entry form for the test as well as the LEA form. If you are not Essex LEA I'm not sure what you need to do.
Have you considered Chelmsford? would imagine it is much shorter journey. Doesn't do quite as well in league tables (which as we all know are not perfect :) ) but from looking at forum posts it seems to have increased competition for entry from West Essex/East London recently so standards may rise even further in next few years.
Guess you might want to write to each school and see what their reaction is to dealing with child who already has GCSE in curriculum subjects?
mathsteacher

Post by mathsteacher »

Thank you KB, Chelmsford is too far I think. I will ask schools the questions. He can go on a train to Colchester or I can drive.
KB

Post by KB »

Sorry - had incorrectly got in my head that you were London direction.
sj355

Re: How bright is your CRGS son?

Post by sj355 »

Re: How bright is your CRGS son?
Very clever and very modest like his mum! If my colleagues heard you mentioning IQ tests they would have froth running out of their mouths. If they also heard that it was a child's IQ test then they would definetely get into a fit. IQ tests are completely discredited and cosndered as higly inaccurate by most british universities
sj355
mathsteacher

Post by mathsteacher »

IQ tests do not seem to be useless to me. For quantitative subjects IQ tests show logical thinking. For children whose native language is not the one spoken in the country in which they are living the tests can show that there is intelligence where none/little is evident. Having lived in a variety of countries many test children's IQ. Some aspects of IQ are non-culturally sensitive meaning that a poorly educated child has an opportunity to show potential.

Surely this is the basis of VR, NVR and then in secondary school the CAT tests. I have looked at the Essex 11+ and it seems to me that a well-educated child will have a much better chance of passing the exam than a child from a poorer background where English may not always be spoken at an educated level. The English test does not test English, but experience of vocabulary, which immediately discriminates against multi-lingual children. The VR test is a mixture, obviously bright children assimilate more vocabulary, but in all of us there seems to a limit. Each time I learn a new language the vocabulary of the old ones deteriorate. The maths paper seemed quite interesting as there were definitely questions that only a bright child with a logical mind could achieve. I wonder where this leaves a child with a creative mind as there is no room for self-expression, without which we will never succeed.

On a last note my British husband always says that IQ tests tell you how good a child is at IQ tests.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now