are the kids allowed a stopwatch in the exam?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chelmsford dad

are the kids allowed a stopwatch in the exam?

Post by chelmsford dad »

either as a small timer or a stopwatch on their watch (i know they are not allowed a calculator watch) , if not how is the main clock displayed? as just a normal time or as a timer starting at zero?
from past experience does anyone know about this ?
Milla

Post by Milla »

isn't that the last thing you'd want?? stressing about their fiddling with watches and getting distracted and so on?? Just a thought from a rather easily-stressed type whose child did their 11+ (watch-free) yesterday!
chelmsford dad

yes maybe but he is used to pacing a paper

Post by chelmsford dad »

and knowing whether he is behind or ahead of schedule , i just wonder how he would react to a different scenario from the one he is used to? at the moment when he does a practise he has a timer nearby so he can see how much time he has left
Milla

Post by Milla »

I'm not sure when your test is, but why not do a practice session or 2 without the watch?? In our region we practised with made-up different answer pages just to ensure that 'security blanket stuff' wasn't in place, to ready the child for differences from an established routine - if nothing else to protect them from panic about something essentially not necessary, like a malfunctioning watch packing up or being taken away by a busy invigilator or, in our case, an unexpectedly differently formatted answer page.
katel

Post by katel »

When my dd did her 11+ 3 years ago they changed the format of the paper without warning - there were the same number of questions but they were divided up differently. If she had been relying on a stop watch or a timer I think she would have been badly thrown.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I have heard of an exam - can't remember where - where a child had a stopwatch taken away... They were told to only take pencils with them. More upsetting to have it taken away than to have got used to working without it, I am pretyy sure there will be a clock they can all see.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi only just noticed your question.
Asked both daughters, both of whom have sat it in the last three years.
A clock is on display but they are reminded of the time at regular intervals.
e.g
"You have 20 mins left etc"

Not long now - Good luck.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I think having a stopwatch just gives them an unwanted distraction. The problem I have with my DS is that he finishes the English and Maths papers in just over half the time and is then so bored with the paper that he can't be bothered to check it properly. :evil: He has promised that he will check his answers in the real exam but I can imagine how he would spend his time if he was sitting with a gadget just begging to be played with. :roll:
moved

Post by moved »

Checked with both of mine, missed the question too. Clocks are provided. DS forgot his glasses so a clock was put on a chair next to him. Very regular reminders. This did not stop DD from ignoring the 1 mn rule of checking all the boxes had a line in them!
Best of luck for the big day and please come back and let us know in March.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now