Urgent Advice - VERY Sorry Long!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

CM - I've only had a small glass of sloe gin... but still not sure what I mean.

reckon still it is best to put SS GS first and then if it doesn't all work out on allocations day then the comprehensive school will default to being first choice if they are eligibe for that school.

you couldn't send some of the dry white down the line ... sounds really nice.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I don't think it matters at all what are you live in or whether the grammars are superslective or not, the fact is always you need to put the schools you want in that order on your CAF - otherwise you will be disapppointed. So if you want the comp first....put it first ( but why then would you do the GS test ?) Because unless its a random allocation, and you fullfil the criteria for the the comp, you'll get a place, so the GS test is a waste of time. If you want the GS , it will need to go first, with the comp next, I think

Sorry not form this area, just interested, s'all
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

LFH is right. Below is a quite from our Council's website. Hope it clarifies the matter.

London Boroughs and bordering councils electronically share and exchange all possible offers through the computerised PAN London Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme. The offer of places is co-ordinated to make sure that nobody gets offered more than one place on National Offer Day.

The system applies the schools' lists of available offers against the applicant’s preference order to establish which offers can be made. The highest preference available will be offered and any applications for schools of a lower preference to that offered are cancelled. The home local authority sends this offer by first-class post on National Offer Day.
Random allocations are ofcourse a different case.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Looking for help wrote:I don't think it matters at all what are you live in or whether the grammars are superslective or not,
Sorry not form this area, just interested, s'all
My last post was mindful of the fact that in some area,s e.g L B of Sutton,in the case of a couple of schools, you sit the test and get the results long before you complete your CAF.IF you score very highly or completely at the other end, it serves as a guide to whether naming it on the form is a good idea.

I think that is quite a good system.Possibly I have led us all off topic now though. :(
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

It is a good system, but not for borderline candidates....if we had known our son's results we may not have put it on the CAF, so then we couldn't have appealed - which wouldn't have made any difference to us, but to others who got in on appeal they might not have put it on their CAF because they didn't pass the test :cry: Whatever way you look at it there are problems, and we will never be happy, the lot of a parent :lol:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Looking for help wrote:It is a good system, but not for borderline candidates....if we had known our son's results we may not have put it on the CAF, so then we couldn't have appealed - which wouldn't have made any difference to us, but to others who got in on appeal they might not have put it on their CAF because they didn't pass the test :cry: Whatever way you look at it there are problems, and we will never be happy, the lot of a parent :lol:
I agree with you totally that's why I mentioned top scorers and "nowhere nears".They benefit from the system but the others are in no better position than the rest of the country. :cry:
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

I wasn`t going to bother with the 11+ as we had faced disappointment with our eldest who didnt get into GS two years ago. Then DD told me she wanted to do the exam and it was full steam ahead. We got her lessons once a week with a local tutor (ex teacher) and with her determination and our guidance she has now been offered a place at a GS. So if your child is willing to put in the effort and is reasonably bright then it can still be done. Why not have a word with their teacher at school, I know some schools do not encourage the 11+ (our old school didnt which is partly why we were not prepared first time round!!) but at least you may get some idea of their level at school and work on from that. And of course there is plenty of good advice on here....Best of luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now