Apprehensive New Starter

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
maudie29

Apprehensive New Starter

Post by maudie29 »

My son has been accepted for KEGS and whilst he is (on the inside!) pleased that he has done so well, he is less than keen to attend because he will be one of only a few boys going from his school and he is leaving all his friends behind. I'm assuming that a lot of parents are having to deal with this issue and I was wondering how they are dealing with it? :?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi Maudie 29 - DS is the only one going to his gs choice from his school and he was very apprehensive and excited at the same time. However, we have managed to find out that there are actually 4 people from his out of school rugby squad going too.

Can you find others that he knows from out of school that are going too? They may not be his best buddies but it sure does help!!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
marigold

Post by marigold »

Hi Maudie,

My son is also going to KEGS with only two others from his school, who are in different classes and not close friends. I thought he would be fine but he has mentioned quite often in the last week worries about how he will make new friends.

Against my better judgment ( mainly because of the cost and the fact that he is about as sporty as a bunch of grapes ) I have signed him up for the sports course which is being run over Easter by one of the PE teachers at KEGS. I am assuming there will be some other new year sevens so at least there will be some familiar faces in September.

Quite often on this forum people suggest getting together at some point over the summer to meet their new class mates before they start. My son was horrified at the thought that I would suggest meeting anyone through the Forum which he considers the preserve of dotty middle aged Mums, but he may weaken nearer the time.

Marigold.
Milla

Post by Milla »

marigold wrote:My son was horrified at the thought that I would suggest meeting anyone through the Forum which he considers the preserve of dotty middle aged Mums, but he may weaken nearer the time.
Marigold.
:D :D
KB

Post by KB »

I would explain that most boys will be in a similar situation and that the school is used to helping them all settle in.
At CRGS they deliberately spilt boys from the same primary school into different forms!
There will also be an induction day when he can meet other boys and maybe exchange contact details with a few in his form?
Or you could arrange a date during the holiday & when he goes to the induction day he could invite a certain number for lunch on that day.
We made little 'contact' cards in advance to give out - check what details he puts on them! & how many you are prepared for him to give out:)

Would also talk about the fact it is ages away & having done all the hard work now id the time to enjoy the last few months of school & all the special Year 6 activities.
KB

Post by KB »

Another idea!

See if there are events at the school - music, drama, science talks - that you could both attend in the next few months so he can get used to the school.
moved

Post by moved »

A year ago DD, nervous about her grammar, met another delightful DD from the forum. Both girls were quiet and shy, but felt better for having met someone else before the start of term. The sports events organised by the schools really do help as the children meet a good few friends and are also familiar with the school environment.

Good luck, it doesn't take them long to realise that it's the best school in the world.
maudie29

Post by maudie29 »

Fabulous advice! his main concern was that KEGS wouldn't offer him the same sporting opportunities as his current school so I've signed him up for the Easter camp, hopefully that will dispel that thought and allow him to meet all the other newbies in the same situation. :)

and a note to Marigold, when I suggested to him that I could arrange some 'meetings' with other boys, through their parents I was also told that it wouldn't be necessary, he could find his own friends...problem solved then :lol:
kegsteacher

Post by kegsteacher »

his main concern was that KEGS wouldn't offer him the same sporting opportunities as his current school
May I ask what the sporting opportunities are at his current school? While KEGS has never been famous for its sport it has come a long way in recent years. Rugby particularly has been built up by some very qualified teachers and there are some very strong teams - they are touring Italy next year. Cricket tours the Caribbean every three years. The football first XI got to the county final last year. Other (qualified) teachers on the staff run other sports (e.g. squash, badminton, tennis, fencing).

We don't perhaps have the resources (or the scholarships) to keep up with the nearest Public Schools but I think KEGS holds its own against any in the maintained sector.
mad?

Post by mad? »

maudie29 wrote:Fabulous advice! his main concern was that KEGS wouldn't offer him the same sporting opportunities as his current school so I've signed him up for the Easter camp, hopefully that will dispel that thought and allow him to meet all the other newbies in the same situation. :)

and a note to Marigold, when I suggested to him that I could arrange some 'meetings' with other boys, through their parents I was also told that it wouldn't be necessary, he could find his own friends...problem solved then :lol:
Perhaps maude29let and marigoldlet will unwittingly meet up at the camp...this has potential to run and run! :lol:
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now