CRGS uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Re: CRGS uniform

Post by Minesatea »

PE shorts - 1 pair black for rugby and 1 pair white for PE.

Bags and coats seem to be anything although I seem to remember an instruction about no denim.

My DS carries a "Kag in a bag" all the time.

Main criteria for bags is strength. We started with a cheap rucksac which didn't survive the first half term! A strong bottom and straps is required as in year 7 they have lots of short lessons so carry a lot of books. I believe it improves higher up the school.

Also remember to go up at least one size on the coat. My not very big 11 year old DS still needed a size 13-14 coat to fit over the blazer. (possibly because I bought the blazer with plenty of growing room!)
KB

Post by KB »

Do make sure the short sare the correct style - they are a heavy cotton - very 'old fashioned' :)

Coats are supposed to be dark colour & as already stated - not denim.

Most boys wear a modern take on the anorak rather than a longer length coat.

My DS also carries a cagoul - just never bothers to put it on!

Rucksacks where the straps come out at the top joined tend to be stronger rather than individual straps.
Either line it or make sure he has a waterproof rucksack cover if he has a walk to the bus.
Can't remember if I mentioned this before but a chain/plastic bendy cord thing for his locker key is handy so he cant leave it in his locker :)

It squite a trek to the games field so make sure he can carry whatever style of games bag along with school bag (can leabe the latter at school but needs to remember/have time to get it on way to the bus)

New parents evening coming up soon - worth checking out the second hand uniform - can get some bargins, especially games kit/spares.
And you'll get lots more pieces of paper/information :)
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Thanks again!
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Me again!

I now have most of the uniform but also have a couple of questions. The sports shirts are to be named "above the chest" and on the left. How far above the chest? Shoulder? Whose left? The wearer's or the onlooker's? Does this apply to both the white t-shirt and the reversible rugby shirt? If it includes the reversible rugby shirt, does this mean it needs named on both sides? How should it be named - sew on name tags or something more elaborate? There is a KEGS thread which discusses embroidered initials on sports kits. Quite frankly I wouldn't have a clue about how to get this done.

Thanks again!
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

I've asked around and aparently the naming is a fairly recent thing but it must have been required last year. We took rugby top into a shop which personalises using embroidery and someone had gone in last year asking for same thing. Because the top is reversible embroidery cannot be used. The suggestion made to us is to stich a name tag on wearer's left hand side in position where it can be seen clearly and put one on inside and outside. I don't know about t-shirt but was going to put an iron-on one on as a temporary measure so, if not needed, it can be heated and pulled off and, if needed can just put a stich in each end because those iron-on things don't last long on jersey type material.

Being cheeky, do you have any idea about other kit they need - I asked question and started new thread this morning.

Many thanks
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Thanks for that. I've posted on the other thread.

I really hate sewing...
moved

Post by moved »

School uniform shops will often embroider initials. We did this for DD. It was very quick and cheap.
KB

Post by KB »

Have had their name on rugby shirt for many years but the reversible shirt is newish.
Just sew a name tape on each side- they might get teased if its any more elaborate. Its easier to pin in place when DS is wearing it. About level with armpit is good but really don't worry too much.
Have never bothered with PE kit being named on the outside but do make sure you label everything foe ease of retrieval when it goes missing.
I'll check the new thread you mentioned as well but feel free to ask anything you like to an 'old timer' :)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

There are several online name label companies who sell extra large name tapes specifically designed for sewing onto the outside of sports kit. I used wonderweb to attach to prevent stitching showing on otherside of reversable shirt.

However ds says lots of his class hadn't got their kit labelled, but the PE staff were please with those that had!
KB

Post by KB »

Depends if your DS wants to get noticed during games if they want an extra size name label :D
Supposedly its also if they get knocked out during rugby- so reassuring :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now