Waiting List

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dadstress

Waiting List

Post by Dadstress »

My DD is currently on the waiting list for one of WHSG and SHSG can anyone please advise on how the system work. for example if a child passes CCHS, WHSG and SHSG would that child's name be on the offer list for all 3 schools or would it just be on the list for the school she chooses as her first choice..really confused,. need a clear explanation we are no 20 on the list do we have much chance
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

A child is only offered one place, even if he/she is eligable for all their applications. They will be offered the highest choice they secure. Other places will be offered to the next on that list.
You are only kept on a waiting list for higher choices you are not offered not lower choices.
e.g. if you get your 2nd choice school you go on the waiting list for your first choice but are not offered or kept on a waiting list for choices 3 and 4.
NOTLEY PARENTS

Re: Waiting List

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

Dadstress wrote:My DD is currently on the waiting list for one of WHSG and SHSG can anyone please advise on how the system work. for example if a child passes CCHS, WHSG and SHSG would that child's name be on the offer list for all 3 schools or would it just be on the list for the school she chooses as her first choice..really confused,. need a clear explanation we are no 20 on the list do we have much chance
We have been offered a place at CCHS which was her second choice, however she will be on the waiting list still for her first choice, Im not sure of her position yet on the waiting list as the lady told me earlier that the lists was not available until Monday so I was wondering who you have spoken to as I may ring tomorrow? Last year I know someone who was 12th on the list for CCHS and her daughter was offered a place some 5 weeks later. Im not sure when she learnt of her placing though, I think she only knew of the list a few weeks after allocation day.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

We were 5 th on the waiting list for Chelmsford with one of my daughters and I found this out about a week after allocations day by ringing the LEA.I was verbally told on one of the occasions I rang, just over two weeks later, that we had a place.I didn't quite believe it really until it came in writing a couple of days later.

Being paranoid about it :oops: , I rang to confirm they had my acceptance letter a week later and was told a few more places had come up.This would tally with what Notley parents said about the Colchester places.

There is a surprising amount of movement on these lists and you stay on the lists until Sept and they will write and tell you if a place at a higher preference school comes up.
Hope that helps.
:?
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

I cant remember who told me but Im sure one girl actually started at her local comp last year or was about to (had the uniform etc) when she was offered a place, which she took. What an awful situation to be put into.
GibsonES335

Post by GibsonES335 »

Five years ago, my eldest was not offered WHSB until late July.

I'm sweating on a place at Colchester for DD.

It can be a long process.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride folks!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The waiting list rules have been extended now so that this list has to be maintained until the end of the first term, so theorectically a place could be offered as late as xmas 2010!

A friend was unfortunately in the position of being top of a waiting list at the start of term last year. :(
Notley Mum

Post by Notley Mum »

Dadstress
We were on the waiting list for Colchester Girls last year.

DD was ranked 151 and didn't get in on allocation day. A week later we rang the LEA and was told she was 7th on the list. To give you some idea of movement, she went from 7th to 4th in two weeks and then 4th to 1st to being offered a place within another week.

My understanding from talking to the LEA folks last year, is that there is quite a bit of movement before the date where you have to confirm/reject your place. Last year I think this had to be done by the 3rd week of March, and even after that there is still some movement. My DD knows of quite a few girls at CCHS (Col) that were higher up the waiting list and were offered a place.

I also understand that you can write to the schools and ask to be kept on the waiting list even after the first term, then should a place become available all children on the waiting list are invited to sit another exam and the person with the best marks gets offered the place.

I can also confirm Notley Parents comments regarding very very late offers. One DD tutored by my DS's tutor two years ago got offered WHSG, got the uniform and then in the summer holidays was offered a place at CCHS which was then accepted, thus releasing a place at WHSG - so don't give up hope. :)

I agree with GibsonES335, it's certainly a bumpy ride.... :?
Sleep Deprived

Post by Sleep Deprived »

My DD has a ranking of 214 for WHSG first choice. The CSSE advised today that the cut off was 209. Am after advice if she has a chance of a place.

Thank you :?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Sleep Deprived wrote:My DD has a ranking of 214 for WHSG first choice. The CSSE advised today that the cut off was 209. Am after advice if she has a chance of a place.

Thank you :?
I would say your chances are very good.So wish that I could give you a cast iron assurance but 5 places is a very plausible amount to move.I was in the same position for CCHS (chelm) and we heard happy news within 3 weeks.She was not the last girls in either by a few places.
People give up places for indep schools, move and also realise they cannot do the journey if they live in london for example.
Will be watching out for your good news.Do let us know.
Best wishes
:D x