Will he cope?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I am now talking about CRGS rather than KEGS but I am sure the same applies:

The Head of CRGS gave an excellant speech at the new parents induction evening when he stated that there is no correlation between 11 plus positions or sats results and the eventual A level results achieved by the students. Anyone who has gained a place at the school is capable of achieving good results, it is their attitude to work over the next 7 years that will determine whether they do well, not their past results.(or words to that effect!)

I also think that you need to take sats predictions with a pinch of salt - some teachers can predict low to encourage the students to work harder, and despite them being suposedly comparable across schools my headmaster regularly complains about students transferring in who have been "overassessed" at their previous school. Some teachers will always be harsher markers than others.

I am sure your son will be fine. :)
katel

Post by katel »

My dd went to grammar school with 5 5 4 in her SATS - and she has been absolutely fine. Don't worry!
Happy feet

Post by Happy feet »

Thank you all for your replies.
I must confess did meet with his teacher on Thur to discuss my concerns regarding his recent mock test. Fortunately his teacher is not concerned & is confident he will attain level 5 in his SATs. More reassuringly, she said she is confident that he will have not have any difficulty coping with English next year. :D :D
CCHSsmiley ...
Your DD has achieved level 6 English already :shock: . WOW that is fantastic, I didn't realise level 6 could be achieved in primary school - Good for her!
Katel ...
5,5,4 is what my son has just attained in his mock test. Thanks for sharing that, it does reassure me. :)

HF
katel

Post by katel »

Happyfeet - if our experience is anything to go by, there will be plenty of 5 5 4ers at school with your ds. Even a few 5 4 4ers.

whispers <just not many on this forum!!!>
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Happy feet wrote:you daughter has achieved level 6 English already :shock: . WOW that is fantastic, I didn't realise level 6 could be achieved in primary school - Good for her!

HF
To be honest ,as someone else has said, a secondary school will be highly skeptical of children coming in with unusually high sats grades, as they will feel they are over assessed so that schools can show more value added.
Don't forget a large proportion of children come in from the indep sector and have no sats grades, so they will all be given a fresh assessment and a fresh start. :D
moved

Post by moved »

Since DS started at KEGS we have had barely any levels. There is little testing. I've just asked him about testing and they have been given occasional levels in English and science, but that is all. The girls' high seem to test much more often and level assessments were given in all subjects at the beginning of the year.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Hi Happy Feet please don't worry - your son has gained and indeed, earned his place at KEGS. Enjoy this moment as life doesn't always give us what we want. He is obviously a bright boy and I am sure he will do very well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
CCHSsmiley

Post by CCHSsmiley »

To add to my previous post I'm sure he will be fine. You only really get tests at the end of the year and smaller assements once a term or so. They realise not every child will have learnt the same stuff so it is taken into consideration. I'm sure your son will be fine and have fun but I'm also sure he would tell you if he could not cope. Well done for getting into KEGS- lots of people don't get offered a place.
Milla

Post by Milla »

briefly, our Y6 teacher said that last year he had a boy in his class who was so good at writing he reckoned he could almost be published but he worried that the child would not get his level 5 in SATs. He's also been worried about my boy (in Nov parents'evening) despite his eye-watering vocab. I really don't mind since i see it as a school thing (value added and all that and for our school it's quite hard since most of them get 3s in Y2 so the pressure is on to get 5s all round at y6).
At parents' evening this week teacher was all smiles and saying a 5 will be no probs - it's all boiled down to his convincing DS2 of the need to put his sense into paragraphs (a long stream of stuff used to issue forth) and to use however many semi colons per piece. It's really really depressing that this is what it is all about. But it is. Ask your teacher what the few "tricks" are (ie heavy interest in paragraphing etc) and I'm sure these tweaks will make all the difference. Just deadly prosaic. Am sure Will Self wouldn't be worrying about it!
chelmsford dad

can anyone just run me through the sats testing

Post by chelmsford dad »

we have been through the 11+ process and we have got into kegs and would like to keep him on his toes between now and september by encouraging him to get the best sats scores he can. whether they will be of any relevance to kegs when he starts im not sure but nevertheless i wouldnt like his effort to dip between now and then.
as we had focused primarily on the 11+ im a bit embarrassed not to be as familiar with the format for sats. he has been given some guide scores i think (5a/5c amongst others) so i think hes there or thereabouts to where he should be , but is the final sat score based on one exam? or is it a teacher assessment over the year? also if its is an exam can you obtain past papers as you can for the 11+
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now