Will he cope?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

We received teacher assessment and exam grades - the two are separate.
The league tables are based on the exam mark.

The past papers are available free to download from a website similar to this which I believe I am not allowed to name!

I will pm you.
KB

Post by KB »

Letts also publish lots of practice papers.

Having been through this (& far beyond!) I would issue a note of caution - its a long, long haul ahead (probably 10 + years of hard study!) so you don't want them to burn out or loose interest on the way.

I absolutely agree that its important to instill good study habits & a work ethic but the other skill they need is to know how to keep a balance & to be able to decide where to focus their efforts.

I'm not suggesting letting your DS 'coast' until September but I would think about whether its best to focus on another set of exams (which as far as your DS is concerned are worthless!) or on broadening his knowledge and study skills to develop his critical thinking, research skills etc. and most importantly to instill a love of learning that will give him the motivation to carry him through the next 10-15 years of his life.

Once they get to year 10 their holidays start to get eaten up with course work & revision so I would also advise letting younger ones have a good long break in the summer - just enough to keep them ticking over & avoid that huge 'summer slide'!

The worst aspect of the modular system for GCSE & A level is that they never get a rest or time to savour their sucess in one set of exams before the pressure of the next lot comes along.
moved

Post by moved »

This web site is very good for free papers and anwers
http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS2SAT.htm
Romanlover98

Post by Romanlover98 »

I'm sure he will be fine. Sat tests are inaccurate, if your son can get into KEGGS he will find the work at his level. Don't worry!
moved

Post by moved »

Hi Happyfeet,

I thought that you would like to know that a lovely little girl at CCHS was a very low scorer in 11+ and is now top of nearly all of her classes. None of the 11+/SATs malarkey ever really gives us anything more than we already know. If they are bright they will do well. Best of luck for next year, I am sure he will fly.