Colchester County High and Chemsford County High for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest666

Post by Guest666 »

Essex mum wrote:there's a girl in my sons school who has given up everything for the past year. Her parents withdrew her from Guides because they wanted her to prepare. My son had a birthday party (or outing actually) a couple of weeks ago and one poor child was not allowed to come because it was a Sunday and the mother said it was the best day of the week to do 11+ work.
Isn't this child abuse? :evil:

Post by Guest »

Hi,
My daughter sat next to one of these "prep school" kids at her tests.

He was a boy in a hideous royal blue and silver blazer!!

She nicknamed him the "wanna be swot" lol!!

Money doesn't always bring success!

I can tell you!

A little story which you'll enjoy...........................

A (would like to be called posh girl) in my daughters class said a couple of weeks before the exams to my daughter.
"Have you had a personal tutor for the 11+?"

My daughter said "No , my mum has just done some practice papers at home with me,why?"

The girl hastily replied " Well I think it will be highly unlikely that you'll pass then!"

Guess what...............................My daughter passed, and she failed!!

Humble pie or what !!

( I feel sorry for the girl in question, because it was obviously her parent's voice being spoken!!)

Footymad.

Post by Guest »

What is it with people these days. I don't remember children when I was at school bragging about how many toilets they had in their house, or whether their car was made in 2005 or 2004. (or 1079 or 1980!!).

We are bringing up a nation of materialistic half wits whose main measure of success is the number of bhp their car has, and whether their child wears a silly hat or not when going to school.
Essex girl

Prep school uniform on 11+ day

Post by Essex girl »

I have come the the conclusion, over the years, that for many prep schools, the idea of wearing the uniform is to put off other candidates.

Some of the uniforms are so hidious and over the top that one just can't help staring, not in awe but because it is a shock to the eyes.

I expect that the effect is the same on candidates in normal clothing (although I appreciate that not all prep school uniforms are really bad).
The worst one I've ever seen at Chelmsford High School for girls on 11+ day was a very green uniform, including green tights, I seem to recall and then there are those who have ribbons attached to the socks which match the colour of the uniform (the ribboned socks being part of the uniform), really bad!!

As for the 4 x 4's, these are driven by people who would like to be able to afford to send their children to the schools wear the horrible uniform is accompanied by the ribboned socks.

Anyway, enough of the sarcasm (and I have probably spelt the word wrong anyway?) good luck to all the children taking the 11+ tomorrow in Essex and this year in general. It is not a child's fault which primary school they go to and they will all be nervous.
Guest666

Post by Guest666 »

Anonymous wrote:We are bringing up a nation of materialistic half wits whose main measure of success is the number of bhp their car has, and whether their child wears a silly hat or not when going to school.
They mostly become lawyers at my firm! :lol: I need to remember to tell my daughter not to be intimidated by the upper class wannabes in their uniforms. :lol: Good luck everyone. :wink:
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

My son goes to an Independant school, although I would not class us as upper class wannabees. The reason the children wear school uniform on the day is because they are told to do so by the school, not to intimidate any other children. They are comfortable in their uniform, it is what they are use to wearing whilst sitting at a school desk.

By the way, why are we discussing 4 wheel drives on this forum? I agree with your comments about them, but the way you are using this forum to run people down with them, makes you sound as though you are doing it due to envy, although I am sure that is not the case.
Guest101

Post by Guest101 »

I sent my daughter to her exams in her school uniform so she could go back to school in the afternoon. She goes to a state primary. I was not born in this country and cannot understand the hang-up some people have with private schools. Private schools are not an option for us as we have four children and cannot afford them. Why get worked up about how other children study or what they wear to an exam?

Post by Guest »

The so called"hang up" most of us parents on this site have with these prep schools is the fact that the kids are coached to pass the 11+ from year 3 which is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!

This gives these kids whose schools which (more often than not ) are out of the catchment area for the Grammar school, a much greater chance of getting the "gold dust" out of area places!!

My daughter is out of area and has thankfully passed with just a little help on my behalf.

But surely if more of the children at state primary had this kind of coaching i.e as these preps get there would be much more passing the eleven plus.

It is a shame because some of the private school kids get to Grammar and struggle all the way through the school, due to the mindless years of learning how to get by in the exam!!!!

So there are genuine kids who attend state primary who where unlucky not to receive the extra tuition and moral support which would have surely made them sail through at the exam.

This is not to say that there are plenty of prep kids that gain places at state Grammars fairly,(exceptionally bright naturally!) it is just this small minority that are spoiling the chances for the average joe's child.

(money buying a place, not always an education)

I've stopped my rant now.

Footymad.
Essex girl

Response to previous posts

Post by Essex girl »

Footmad, I agree totally with you. Grammar schools should be about educating the bright children of the more financially challenged (quite where one would draw the line on this I do not know). I know we live in a democracy and everyone has equal rights with regard to how they spend their money but private education is really very, very expensive. Those who use the system often say that they forego holidays, etc, to finance it but let's be honest, the cost of a year at a private school is a **** of a lot more than the cost of an ordinary family holiday. You have to have the sort of money required to make the "choice" in the first place.

In our household, both parents work full time in jobs (starting a new one soon!) with what would probably be called average salaries in this part of the country, we pay our mortgage and holiday once a year (in England for a week because of the cost) but no way would we be able to afford to educate one of our children in the private sector, let alone each of them.

I believe, and many wont agree with me, I know, that the privately educated should stick with the private schools (unless their financial situations or family circumstances, etc, are proved to have changed) otherwise there is absolutely no doubt that they take free places at the best schools from poorer families.

All children are equal, their parents are not.
Hertfordshire Parent

State versus Private

Post by Hertfordshire Parent »

Just wanted to say that I agree wholeheartedly with the two posts from Essex girl and Footymad. Just to throw a little extra into the melting pot - has anyone noticed the headlines in todays Times Paper - "Brightest are Failed by State Schools" (no I don't buy it but saw it previewed on last nights late ITV News). The article refers to KS3 & 4, but if my child's experience at Primary is being replicated accross the country then I suspect that children at State Primaries are being failed at KS1 & 2 also.

For what its worth, state primary schools appeared to be geared to acheiving Level 4b at the end of Year 6 and for any child brighter than this average, there is no incentive for the school to educate them above this level. The reality is that 5a and even 6c is the level of most children who pass the selective exams. As Level 5b is seen as exceptional at my child's school, most children won't have any hope of passing when compared to their private counterparts. I guess that parents who pay for their child's education have a little more power to demand results. For the rest of us at State schools, asking for improved standards for our children is seen as being pushy at best or even downright unreasonable. I don't envy parents who sent their children privately, good luck to them. But I do have a problem with a State system that lets down the brightest. Like most parents, I desperately hope that my child passes her selective entrance exam - after 5 years of pushing against a system that educates to an average, it would be nice to have Secondary school that doesn't sit back and congratulate itself on results acheived on the back of parents efforts, parental paid tuition etc as per most Primaries on my area.