PRACTICE PAPERS FROM THE CSSE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mum2007

Post by Mum2007 »

Hi Guest

SeevI listened to your advise, went to the library with my daughter today. I asked the libarian for classic books and lady looked at me in a strange sort of way(what is she talking about). I looked at the books you mentioned ie Jane Eyre and booked it out. The libarian said it would be to difficult for a 10 year old, but i told her why i was asking for them in particular. Did your daughter read some of the books? and how did she find the context of words?

I have also sent cheque off for the CSSE papers.

:? Feel nervous thinking how its all going to begin.

Thanks again for your support.
If you don't mind answering do you live in redbridge?or near chelmsford school? thinking how you find travel a problem or not?
azzurri

Post by azzurri »

Hi Mum 2007,

I live in Redbridge and my daughter did try Woodford but was not successful.She goes to a girl's private school.I wonder if your daughter goes to the same one.
I will be most happy to help with any questions you may have concerning Woodford County for Girls.

Post by Guest »

Mum2007 wrote:
Hi Guest

SeevI listened to your advise, went to the library with my daughter today. I asked the libarian for classic books and lady looked at me in a strange sort of way(what is she talking about). I looked at the books you mentioned ie Jane Eyre and booked it out. The libarian said it would be to difficult for a 10 year old, but i told her why i was asking for them in particular. Did your daughter read some of the books? and how did she find the context of words?

I have also sent cheque off for the CSSE papers.

:? Feel nervous thinking how its all going to begin.

Thanks again for your support.
If you don't mind answering do you live in redbridge?or near chelmsford school? thinking how you find travel a problem or not?

I am surprised the librarian didn't know "the classics". Jane Eyre is difficult to read but a lovely story. My daughter (who, as I mentioned is not an avid reader) watched the television series that was on and thoroughly enjoyed it and wanted to read the book after that. To be honest, I didn't make my daughter read the classics as I know she would not persevere with them. I let her read the books she enjoys and then she did the english practice papers from Bond and Nfer Nelson. Don't worry too much about the english. I think generally all the children find it hard.

We live about 20 mins drive from Chelmsford and my daughter gets the school bus provided by First buses. She gets the bus at 7.40am and gets home about 4.30/4.40pm. The travelling hasn't bothered her in the slightest - in fact they have such a good time on the bus, I think she looks forward to it!

Good luck!
Mum2007

Post by Mum2007 »

Hi azzurri,
Yes my duaghter also goes to a private school(girls school)

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter didn't get a place at Woodford County!! Does she still attend her private school that she was at previously before the exams?

My daughter was discussing timing for the exams with woordfor and aked me mummy is there a clock to check times and whether she would be allowed to wear a watch for the exam. (she was told my friends that no watches are allowed) is this true?

My daughter is getting scores in the range of 85-95 % but to be honest it really depends on the day of the examination as most parents children have been scoring well but still never got a place.

Where are the examination held for woodford exams?

Thanks for the offer of support.
Mum2007

Post by Mum2007 »

Hi Guest

I just went to the libraary show my daughter what the classic range of books are. She did actually want to ready some of the books so borrowed them. However not really started really them. I have oredered the papers from CSSE and will work with her through them nearer tot he time.

It's just hard being a one parent and trying tot give my child the best

Thanks again.
Azzurri

Post by Azzurri »

Hi Mum 2007,
My daughter is currently in prep 4 (year 6).She will continue her education at her school this September.
The Redbridge council will write to you with the infomation when and where your daugter will take the tests.Last year they were taken at Woodlands School in Ilford and Coppice primary school Manford Way.It might be different this year.
I have a strange feeling that your daughter goes to the same school as mine.If that's the case we probably know each other.Is the school in Park Avenue.If yes then Jackpot!!!!
Azzurri

Post by Azzurri »

With regards to timing.No watches are allowed but there was a clock in the class room and the examiner did give them 5 or ten minutes warning.

Post by Guest »

Hi Azzurri

Again, i must sound like a pain now.....

Do your know what the marks are for each paper as i'm not fully clear about this. Do the children sit the NVR before Christmas Holidays? Also, if a child scores less on one papers and more on the other then does this count??

I heard that the paper on exam day from NFER has the same layout as on the exam paper and that you need to score over 200 inorder to get in, is this true?

Thanks

Post by Guest »

it's 50% for nvr and 50% for vr.
Basically the nearer your child can score to 100% on each paper the greater their chance of making it, eg, 81/90 vr and 69/75 nvr.
Redbrigde is very competitive.
Azzurri

Post by Azzurri »

Yep that's right Guest.
The VR paper was 90 questions to be answered in 50 mins and the NVR paper was 75 questions to be answered in 40 mins.As far as I can remember.More questions then the practice NFER NELSON practice papers so be aware.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now