Waiting and waiting and waiting....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hallie

Post by hallie »

Well, I'm in Devon (and they are posting the results on March 1st by
SECOND CLASS POST!!! :roll:
So who knows how long it'll take to get to us. I have had 2nd class post take up to 5 days , and that wasn't even at Xmas, so cheer up , some of us will STILL be waiting when you've received your results. (The exam was Nov 17th BTW).
Sorry to hijack your Essex thread but no-ne really posts in Devon :( [/b]
remlap

Post by remlap »

For those in the Southend area, to avoid confusion with Essex..
.....I have just telephone Southend Council, Children & Learning (extn 5914)

They confirmed to me that offer letters are posted first class on March 1st.

E-mails are available on the 2nd March (early morning is what they said again, but I'd check from midnight)

3 days later we get a letter from the consortium with the raw scores.

we also get a letter from Southend council which we have to send back with confirmation as to whether we are accepting the place offered.
as for school knowing results...they do NOT get to know before we do (they get to know if we have not ticked the box on the SIF form)
Karen

Re: National Offer Day

Post by Karen »

Nervous Mum wrote:Well looking back at last year's posts on this forum it seems that everyone received their offers in the mail on March 2nd or later - so here's hoping the email arrives sooner!
That's probably why I was so pleased when on-line applications came into being. I ticked the box for email notification in the hope that I would find out earlier than by post!

However, I will ring ECC to ask the burning question and see if the answer is the same..... though with all of us ringing in, I wouldn't be surprised if they set up an automated answering service on this.
Karen

Re: National Offer Day

Post by Karen »

Karen wrote:
Nervous Mum wrote:Well looking back at last year's posts on this forum it seems that everyone received their offers in the mail on March 2nd or later - so here's hoping the email arrives sooner!
That's probably why I was so pleased when on-line applications came into being. I ticked the box for email notification in the hope that I would find out earlier than by post!

However, I will ring ECC to ask the burning question and see if the answer is the same..... though with all of us ringing in, I wouldn't be surprised if they set up an automated answering service on this.
Well, I rang the ECC and spoke to a very helpful chap called Paul. He said that the supposition regarding email requests being notified earlier is correct and so those who have requested email notification will get an email on 1 March. Offer Letters are posted on 1 March, thereby arriving on 2 March (postman-willing). Also asked if primary headteachers get notified before parents and the answer was no.

OK, I'm convinced now. I await 1st March as patiently as my patience will allow.
:)
goldjag

Post by goldjag »

Hi
I rang the LEA yesterday & had the same response, they would not be drawn on when the letters actually leave the office. I asked if they would be sent out just after midnight (being 00:01 on the 1st) or would they leave the office at 08:00 when someones arrives in the office.

I also asked what happened last year & again they would not tell me anything. The lady than said I don't know why you are so worried as you will have more than enough time to appeal. I told her my reason for asking is that I start work at 06:45 & wanted to be at home if the letter could possible arrive on the 1st (I don;t work Fridays - 2nd), still would not be drawn on giving a precise time.

So now I don't know what to do. Will probably ask husband who will be there to try & get to the post first & hide the letter if it arrives, until I arrive home from work at 14:30 which is just in time to pick our daugther up from school

I will then let her open the letter fingers crossed it will be good news, as she has worked so hard & we live outside of the catchment area for Southend/Westcliff.

Role on the 1st/2nd of Match
anita

results

Post by anita »

thought it was just me worrying, have just found this sight It has been a bit easier for me second time round. My daughter took 11 plus 2 years ago and waiting seeing the postman down the road was torture! I am not usually this sad, but I actually chased him down the road! Fortunately it was good news. My son is not as bright as she is so I am quite philosophical about it all, if he doesn't pass then I accept he simply isn't up to it at the moment.

Her school didn't handle it too well, they let the children ring home, so there was a mixture of happy/sad children. It was far better in the old days when the results would arrive on a Saturday so the children had a couple of days to realise that it wasn't the end of the word and all went to school Monday as per usual. All this picking up from school on the day of the results is not healthy.

Post by Guest »

Another Devon Mum here - sorry Essex hardly anyone posts on our site even thought over 700 children sat the 11+ they obviusly aren't as sad as me trawling for info from like minded parents! Our letters are posted by first class mail on the 1st March, I don't know about e-mails. I work in a primary school and last year we received a list of allocations a couple of days before the 1st March, it was awful knowing some of the parents (a lot who were friends) and not being able to tell them (in all cases) the good news. More than my job was worth!

Post by Guest »

Another Devon Mum here - sorry Essex hardly anyone posts on our site even thought over 700 children sat the 11+ they obviusly aren't as sad as me trawling for info from like minded parents! Our letters are posted by first class mail on the 1st March, I don't know about e-mails. I work in a primary school and last year we received a list of allocations a couple of days before the 1st March, it was awful knowing some of the parents (a lot who were friends) and not being able to tell them (in all cases) the good news. More than my job was worth!
anita

Post by anita »

coming off the subject a bit, I would also say to those parents who get a negative response on the day is that I was amazed first time round at the movement there is. There are quite a few children that don't take places at the grammer schools for various reasons, some people move away, some choose independant schools over the grammer schools etc. I even knew of a child being offered a place the day before term started. There is always hope if your child just misses a place that a place will be offered at a later date. Not that relevant but thought it may help to know this. ps in 2005 results were sent on the 1st received on the 2nd, except those who live under Essex and they didn't arrive till the 5th. No email option then though.
goldjag

Post by goldjag »

Hi Anita

Thanks for the info re when letters were received last year. I have told my daughter not to expect until the 2nd so hopefuly if if does arrive on the 1st she won't spot daddy trying to hide the letter

I have never felt so worried about one result. But as someone pointed out to me they don't get a second change unlike gcse's & degress you can always sit these again at some stage, (this really helped my nerves no end).

Its funny but prior to christmas we hardly thought about it, but I think it might have something to do with the fact that you have very little else to think about at this time of year, except holidays which seem a long way off.

We are both more worried about how she will cope we rejection, will it have a hugh negative inpact on her so she messes up her SATs? who knows. At the end of the day they have done the best they can & that is all you can ask of them, & just to make sure they have lots of love & attention no matter what the outcome. Its not the end of the world, & if its meant to be it will.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now