session times for 2011 11+ CRGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cinnamonstick

session times for 2011 11+ CRGS

Post by cinnamonstick »

My DS has got session 2 sitting at CRGS with registration from 11.45. Just wondered what time the earlier session was. Must mean an early start or a very quick turn around?
Now I'M getting nervous :)

Good luck to All who are sitting the 11+ next Saturday.
push-pull-mum

Re: session times for 2011 11+ CRGS

Post by push-pull-mum »

DD is booked for second sitting at CCHSG (10.30). Sitting 1 candidates register at 8.15. Suspect the two schools have staggered sittings to avoid traffic congestion as they are practically on the same street. Our letter from the Girls' High specifically states only two sittings. I was very grateful for this as briefly panicked that they might have enough candidates to require two afternoon sittings as well!
At CCHSG there isn't a 'turn-around' - second sitting candidates are asked to enter quietly because the first set of tests are still in progress.

And hello to everyone on the forum :) - I've been lurking about for months and finally signed up when I found the letter on the mat today. None of my friends' children are taking the 11 plus so I have to pretend to be very cool about it all for the next 3 months.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

My DS sat the 11+ exam last year at CRGS. He was in the first sitting but can't remember the exact start time. We did, however, arrive before 9am as parking can be an issue. It may well be that the times slightly overlap between the first and second sittings. We were very anxious on the day so I know how you feel. My DS started at CRGS in September and even now I still can't believe that we are part of such a fabulous school. Good luck to you and your DS and everyone else sitting their 11+ next week.
scattymum

Post by scattymum »

My DS has also been allocated the second sitting at CRGS (his brother had the early session last year). So now I have new worries: how to stop us wearing a hole in the carpet from impatiently pacing up and down all morning :? and is it too early to feed him lunch before we set off? I don't want him passing out from hunger half way through :wink:
We'll all be glad when it's over!
All the best everyone :D
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Registration time is quite long from memory.

2 years ago - CRGS ran 2 sittings one at 9 (i think) and one at 12:30. They use the main hall and a few class rooms so the second sitting can't go in before the first finish.

I have been asking re. ColCHS sittings and have been told that in the past one sitting has been in their own hall and one in the neighbouring school - ? St benedicts. If so this would explain how they can run one group at nine and one at 10:30.
Does anyone know if this is the case?
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

My DS is in first sitting at crgs and it is registration 8.15-9
KB

Post by KB »

When you drop them at CRGS there will be upper sixth students to look after them. They assemble away from the area where the test is held (which is in the hall & nearby classrooms). I think its usually in the cafeteria.
Two of my Dcs helped with this process and they all take their responsibilities very seriously.

The second sitting does seem earlier than in the past so I guess it is possible they are going to put them in the gym (also used for external exams) or just want to have them ready so they can move them across as sooon as the others have left.

They come out of the front of the hall when they are finished but there is a 'back way' in so they might take the second sitting in that way.

Do tell your DS not to worry because even the grumpy teachers are nice and kind on 11+ day! If they have any question sthey should ask a sixth form helper or teacher (all of whom will be wearing suits).

As for parking - there will be an in/out system at school so you can drive in & drop them to a sixth former & drive off. If you want to deliver on foot you def. need to allow plenty of time to park.

If you only have one adult coming to collect then leave plenty of time because parking before you go to meet them when they come out is usually tricky.

As for food - I would suggest a 'cooked' breakfast then maybe a milkshake or other energy food just before you leave home if wanted.
They will be given squash & biscuits in their break. Helps a bit to keerp sugar levels up!

Thoughts & prayers with everyone going through this. Done it three times now & wont pretend it wasn't awful each time!
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

Hi
In your experience, do you think it's better for me to drop off by car or park elsewhere and walk my DS in? I don't know what to do for the best!!

His best friend is taking in afternoon session and at first I was disappointed as I thought they could support each other if they were in the same session but now I think it's a good thing - less distraction - but i'm worried about him being on his own as walks to registration making him nervous!!

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
KB

Post by KB »

In previous years there has been a system where you drive in, stop briefly to let the child out of the car into the care of a 6th former, and drive out again.
The system works pretty well & the 6th formers recognise the importance of the day (most of them went through it!) and are very kind.
If you would be happier parking outside school (its pretty restricted so leave plenty of time to park some distance unless you can get someone to give you a lift) and walk them in then I would do that - just because if you are less stressed it will be better!
Do hand DS over promptly though - hanging about with them only stresses them out & generally they will be much happier once you have gone!!

It seems like a big strange place to the DSs, with lots of adults & 6th formers about so rather daunting but the staff and pupils are very kind to all the boys and certainly realise how stressful it is for them.
The exams officer at the school is in overall charge of the arrangements and is very experienced.

Make sure you read the letter carefully and get everything you need well in advance and follow the instructions on the day then the best thing you can do is to stay as calm as possible (says she :) )

And do plan something fun for afterwards - to celebrate the huge acheivement of having gone through th exam. I bet there will be lots of 11+ers at Harry Potter that afternoon & evening :)

Last thing! - do not talk to DS about the exam unless he suggests it!!! It wont help you with knowing how he really did copmared to others & there is nothing to be gained by it - however tempting.
I know several people who were worried when DS said they hadn't done last page of VR etc & they got places come March.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Last year DS had the first sitting and we found parking to be really easy. There was plenty of room in the playground for parking. Drive in (from Creffield Road), park briefly, deposit son with one of the most helpful teenagers you'll ever encounter, drive off again. It was fine when we came to pick him up too. Caveat to that is that we arrived back at the school as early as the instructions (given when depositing DS) allowed. I think things would have become more difficult a bit later when there would be an overlap between those waiting to collect and those waiting to drop off for the second sitting. I suspect that parking is more of a problem for those allocated the afternoon sitting.

(Crossed with KB's post)