Advice needed on what to concentrate on in the last weeks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

Re: Advice needed on what to concentrate on in the last week

Post by Minesatea »

I'm not an expert but my understanding is that there is no age adjustment in essex.

The standardised score adjusts for any variation in difficulty of the papers, the fact that the maths and english papers are worth the same but marked out of different amounts and that children on the second test day sit different papers.

Hopefully someone else can explain it better.
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

Thanks for that
I read somewhere age was a factor - must be other regions. The age bit made no sense to me as someone who was born say 1st jan has had the same amount of schooling as someone born 30th august even if there is 8 months age difference!
Glad it's one less thing to think about!!
I'll be glad once it's all over! Roll on 21st nov when all I then have to do is wish my life away until the 1st of march! Lol
moved

Post by moved »

Rehab is awfully useful for those stressful days. :mrgreen:
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

Hi Moved,
For my mock recently I was looking for a score of 180 for a Colchester school. This was a 50 mark English paper, a 45 mark maths paper and an 80 mark VR paper (double score for VR).
Sorry to be completely thick, but how do you get the score of 180? What did you do with the raw marks to come up with a score?

Thanks
moved

Post by moved »

English ?/50, maths ?/45 and VR ?/160. The VR is worth double so I doubled the VR score.
Final total 180/255.

The borderline marks I found for last year would actually have been closer to 155, but the marks for Colchester entry seemed lower than other years. I also like to see some room for the usual decrease in expected score.
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

Now I follow. Thanks for that!
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

Using moved method of scoring our DS obtained 177 in 11 plus and failed to gain a place at CRGS or KEGS. We appealed to both schools and at appeal were told he needed another (on this method) 7 points to gain entry to KEGs and just over 3 to gain entry to CRGS. Therefore 180 would have been about the cut-off of CRGS.

It is probably worth noting however that at our son's prep-school they tested on actuall past papers under exam conditions in the weeks immediately leading up to the exam and anecdotal evidence is that DCs performed about 10% higher on these papers than they did on the actual exam.

Hope this helps.
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

dutchy005 wrote:Using moved method of scoring our DS obtained 177 in 11 plus and failed to gain a place at CRGS or KEGS. We appealed to both schools and at appeal were told he needed another (on this method) 7 points to gain entry to KEGs and just over 3 to gain entry to CRGS. Therefore 180 would have been about the cut-off of CRGS.
Which year was this out of interest?
moved

Post by moved »

Last year I believe, interesting regarding the scores for CRGS. The girls school took with lower scores. One girl was definitely offered a place with 162 on the above system.
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

Yes this was last year and you are right about the Girls' Schools having lower cut-off points. Someone else said last year that if DS had been DD they'd have got into Colchester Grammar. We also knew that if our DS had been a DD we'd not have had to go through trauma of appeal. Hey ho!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now