Poor daughter has just told me she left a whole page out

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KeepCool

Re: Poor daughter has just told me she left a whole page out

Post by KeepCool »

All is certainly NOT lost. I had a similar situation with one of my children. She missed out "loads", but actually, she was so accurate that she got a high score. A lot of children only finish because they have guessed answers. I have 3 children - 2 in grammar scores and 1 waiting to hear. They were all the same in that they did not answer all the questions but were very accurate in their answers.

I know you'll still be worried, but you really cannot tell until you get the result. Hope it all works out for you.
KB

Post by KB »

Please try not to worry until March. The son of a friend of mine missed a whole page on VR a few years ago & was convinced he had 'failed' -come March he got a place at his first choice school. So it really isn't a forgone conclusion.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

i agree - im not from your area - in my area(medway) we are lucky that the top 23% who pass are deemed selective and when my dd1 took the test 4 yrs ago she only got just over half way through her maths paper! she didnt even guess the remainder! I was horrified but all was fine. She had been very accurate on the ones she did answer.
Hamburg86

Post by Hamburg86 »

Just shows the difference in some children: my DS came out quite confidently but told us he had missed out 7 Verbal questions and just guessed them at the end - when I asked him today he said it was almost a whole page. He still thinks he got over 80% (how he knows this escapes me...). Feedback I have heard is that the Verbal was tougher than expected for a quite a few children.
pxjain

Post by pxjain »

My DS never ever missed any VR questions in all of the 11 external mock tests he did and all the others he did at home. He always had enough time to revise the questions and VR was one of his strength.

Even when he came out of the exams, he said Maths and English were easy but VR was quite time consuming and couldn't finish the last 4 questions. he did not even have time to just put some random answers.

Goinf by the past results, I think you need to get around 70% to be in and may be little less to get through the waiting list. In my DS's opinion, the VR was harder than the sample papers we received from CESE. This may push the cut off a little down.

I think there will many DCs in the same situation (with VR) and I would suggest not to loose heart.
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

My DD virtually missed out the last VR page last year and skimmed over it to fill in her answers with one minute to go, she is happily settled into CCHS (Colchester) as we speak so please dont despair, there may be hope, either way she has done extremely well and will no doubt do well where ever she goes.
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

woiseme

A lot of people have written about their experiences which suggest that kids have still made it through.
I personally found it a nerve wracking day and can now understand why people say exam day performance could drop by 10%
Good luck and dont lose heart
HD
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now