Late sitters - English text

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Re: Late sitters - English text

Post by moved »

Yes quite a few changes this year, knowledge of nouns and standard primary English grammar terminology, a passage with spellings to correct. Also pleasantly modern texts. I'm looking forward to seeing the papers.
KB

Post by KB »

Interesting about the straight spelling test being introduced this year - already partially tested within VR questions.
My DCs have already gone through but if not I think I would be tempted to question how it relates to either intelligence or ability to cope at GS & raise the issue of unnecessarily discreminating against those with certain SLDs that do not impact on performance once at GS.
moved

Post by moved »

One of my worries is that if the test is "easier", as reported by my pupils, that it will become harder to differentiate at the top end as the test becomes more one of accuracy rather than ability.
Chai

Post by Chai »

Perhaps the deciding factor will be how the children answered the questions asking for their opinion in the English paper. I understand that was the style of the questioning this year for English. I can't wait to get my hands on the paper.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Not all students found the english paper easy.

my dd's opinion on the three papers was: english - horrible, maths - OK and VR - easy! :roll:

If questions ask for an opinion how do they determine a "correct answer"? Especially as the papers are marked by non teachers.
An opinion is a subjective statement or thought about an issue or topic, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. An opinion may be supported by an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts.
moved

Post by moved »

I had a pupil who stated the reverse. At least they agree on the maths.
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

Minesatea wrote:my dd's opinion on the three papers was: english - horrible, maths - OK and VR - easy!
My DS said English and maths were 'easy' (or easier than the mocks we had been doing) and VR OK but time consuming!
I think it's different for every DC.
Think if there was less emphasis on comprehension this year and more on spelling and word types that why my DS found it easier as he hates comprehension!!!

As moved said there is nothing we can do about it now and I was on the verge of nerotic and had to have a word with myself - I am down to checking these forums once a week!! lol

Good Luck everyone!! Only 87 days to go!!! lol
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I heard rumours that the last 4 questions on the VR were very hard and time consuming. Does anyone know what question type they were?
2 to go

Post by 2 to go »

DD says they were time consuming and involved matching codes to given words.
swot

Post by swot »

When and how can we get access to this years test papers. I would love to see them out of interest as my DS hasn't disclosed much about what went on.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now