Borderline Candidates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

That's a shame - we live within walking distance of KEGS so a bit of local discrimination would have been nice, or a pass-mark like the Southend schools.

When we came to the open day talk, Mr Bevan told us that one boy commutes daily to KEGS from Edgware Road in London!
Borderline candidates

Post by Borderline candidates »

how does that song go ..."it must be different for girls.." ? My understanding is that in Colchester and Westcliffe buses come from far and wide. Maybe we are moving into an insightful discussion on demographics... or maybe people are simply optimistic about KEGs, take the plunge and move close by.

Of course I am really please to know that candidates from the EEC are applying ..would hate to think that applications were limited only to the whole of Southern Engalnd !!!!!

Slowly slipping into small pessimistic dip...known as the Marianus Trench ( if I recall my geography er..and spelling!!)
bordeline candidates

Post by bordeline candidates »

I think there must be a bug...it has nothing to do with the wine...
marie

borderline candidates

Post by marie »

Apologies ... I think two glasses of wine has obviously got the better of me.. I am not normally called Borderline Candidate...but it does have a nice ring..

Clearly losing it and off to check my spelling...

Marie

Post by Guest »

Quite true about the boy from Edgware Road - KEGS also has one from Westminster!

Rather cruel really, neither gets home before 9pm.

Post by Guest »

WHAT!!

Its one thing adults travelling like that for work but its quite another for a child to travel for that long. If he leaves school at 4pm that makes for a 5 hour journey (plenty of time for homework!!). What time does he get up in order to get to school in the morning??
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

Anonymous wrote:Quite true about the boy from Edgware Road - KEGS also has one from Westminster!

Do they have to come by bike then? Surely if the school day finishes around 3.30 they could be on a train from Chelmsford to London around 4pm - even a slow train takes only 40 minutes. Half an hour on the tube - I'd be surprised if they weren't back by 6pm.

Surely 9pm is only if they take part in extra-curricular activities after school?
Karen

Post by Karen »

Anonymous wrote:
WHAT!!

Its one thing adults travelling like that for work but its quite another for a child to travel for that long. If he leaves school at 4pm that makes for a 5 hour journey (plenty of time for homework!!). What time does he get up in order to get to school in the morning??
I'd estimate about 5.30-6.00 a.m. (allowing for a shower/breakfast). Must play havoc with the social life outside of school. Is it a life?

Post by Guest »

No they don't take that long to get home - I think one has a parent who works in Brentwood, and they wait until s/he has finished work to travel home together. Will probably change as they get older.

They are both happy boys though, although I really don't think it is ideal...
marie

borderline candidates

Post by marie »

we agreed with our daughter that if she was successful ..we would move; the adults would do the commute. 7 years is a long time and it only seemed fair that she had the opportunity to enjoy school life and the extra curricula activity to the full. It is obvioulsy easier with an only child.

Time will tell where we end up..and of course we may be staying put?

I know we all keep looking forward - but come tommorow it is 12 weeks since the exam. Is it me or has it felt like a year...?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now