Age doesn't matter in Essex!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

push-pull-mum

Re: Age doesn't matter in Essex!

Post by push-pull-mum »

colchestermum wrote: A friend of DS is just as bright as him however his parents felt that due to his confidence issues and their own situation (on benefits in social housing) gs wasn't for him. Rightly or wrongly that was the decision they made and he didn't sit the test.
Aargh!! Aargh!! Who are grammar schools for if not for the kids who cannot access higher level of education elsewhere (whether through Indie schools or parents providing extra curricular support etc)? Teacher friend of mine says he meets at least one child in his class each year that he just wants to put in his pocket and take home because their parents obviously don't appreciate what a super kid they've got. That kid goes in my pocket now!!
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

I think that in this the parents have a view that (and i stress I do NOT agree) gs would be too 'posh' for him and he wouldn;t fit in because of their social status. I know this isn't true but try telling them that! At the end of the day we are lucky enough to live within catchment of a very good comp and I know that this boy (and my DS for that matter if the result is not what we hope for come 1st march) will do extremely well there.
push-pull-mum wrote:Who are grammar schools for if not for the kids who cannot access higher level of education elsewhere
Unfortunatley, there are a lot of children who get into gs because they come from families which can afford to provide an immense amount of tutoring - some private prep school prepare their pupils for 11+ at a VERY young age. My family is not in that position and my son has not had the benefit of a tutor, just one very loving supportive mum and tools available from this and other sites. So whilst your view should be how it is, this is not always the case.

In my day, primary schools entered those they thought capable for the 11+, we had special 11+ lessons with the headmaster and the 11+ was sat at school during school time so unless the parents objected, those that were deemed capable were entered, however those were the days when you didn't have to apply for secondary school and you went to your local comp if you didn't get into a gs. How things have changed!
scattymum

Post by scattymum »

As my DH and I both attended Grammar Schools we were lucky enough to be pretty clued up about the procedure, but our DS's primary was pretty dismissive when we raised the subject in year 4. We were told that although he was bright, the school didn't anticipate more than two boys per year getting through and, as our DS wasn't in top two then it probably wasn't worth the hassle! After a bit of thought DS decided he wanted to have a go anyway, so we tried a few past papers (no tutor; kept things low-key) and he's now half-way through year 7 at CRGS and loving it! The best thing is, the primary school had EIGHT 11+ successes last year (6 boys/2 girls) so my advice is PLEASE don't be put off by comments from primary teachers, trust your instincts and if you know other bright kids then spread the word & some encouragement!
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

Pheasantchick
To my knowledge, state school in Kent are not allowed to provide extra lessons, or at least not in school time
Colleague sitting right next to me confirmed about lessons given by school on Monday nights. As i mentioned in an after school activity.
We were told that although he was bright, the school didn't anticipate more than two boys per year getting through
The best thing is, the primary school had EIGHT 11+ successes last year (6 boys/2 girls) so my advice is PLEASE don't be put off by comments from primary teachers
Rest my case. Even when schools know about it the right info doesnt come through. It is upto the parents.

Scattymum
Great to see your kid made it and enjoying CRGS

HD
jacksmum

Post by jacksmum »

I wish there was age standardisation in Essex.

My DS was not allowed to start primary school full time untill the Easter term - thus missing out on the equivalent of 1 full term compared to Autumn born children. He is a summer baby.

He was 100% ready for school full time but was not allowed.

Some might say that this does not have any relevance by the time they sit the 11+, but I believe that missing out on this time had an effect throughout infants for him, and who is to say it does not still effect him now. Tha maturity of a child who has just turned 11 compared to someone who has just turned 10 three months before at the time of the tests can be huge, and this has a bearing on the coping abilty of the child.

If other areas use age standardisation why not Essex, especially when they are not allowing the younger children to start at the same time as the older children in their year??
moved

Post by moved »

I have often wondered about this. Data are available to show that age does matter. I wonder whether or not it is due to Essex only having eight grammar schools and 1048 places, rather than being fully selective. I'm not sure what other counties do where there are so few places.
RDR

Post by RDR »

Is it even legal not to have age standardisation? Surely it is age discrimination, Both my girls are March babies, so dead in the middle of the year so it would make very little difference to them, but if I had an August born child who missed out by one place and deep pockets I would be tempted to try my luck in court.
jacksmum

Post by jacksmum »

I have two children both summer holidays born, my DS sat the 11+ last November. He will not even be 11 until year 6 has finished. Like I said he was discriminated against due to his age when he 1st started school, and again now due to Essex having no age standardisation, on top of this we are out of borough for the Southend grammar schools. You could say that the odds were very much stacked against him before he even sat the exam.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

jacksmum wrote:I have two children both summer holidays born, my DS sat the 11+ last November. He will not even be 11 until year 6 has finished. Like I said he was discriminated against due to his age when he 1st started school, and again now due to Essex having no age standardisation, on top of this we are out of borough for the Southend grammar schools. You could say that the odds were very much stacked against him before he even sat the exam.
Mine are both summer babies as well - a rotten way to do parenting from the very start.

You find out you're pregnant just before Christmas and have to go through the party season making up excuses not to drink.
You're hugely pregnant when summer comes round - sweltering in the heat and desperately trying to find clothes that cover the necessary bits (strappy dresses and tops are not designed to be worn with pregnancy bras!)
Your family want you to go into labour on some pre-arranged date (of their choice) because it ties in with their holiday plans and woe betide you if you go overdue.
Your child is born in a cupboard in a desperately understaffed maternity ward because all the regular staff have gone to Lanzarote. So really ....

We shouldn't be surprised when our 4 year old is stuck on the 'less able' table with 5 years with special educational needs and/or behavioural problems because they can't compete with children 10 or 11 months older than them who had the advantage of a whole extra term or two in school (with a much smaller class size).
OR indeed when our 10 year old is still playing catch up in the 11 plus stakes -

We should have known from the first that it was all downhill from the moment we thought Bonfire Night was a better day for making babies than Burns Night. :D
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

who had the advantage of a whole extra term or two in school (with a much smaller class size)
At least this has now stopped for children starting school now.

My Ds2 (age 6) is the eldest in his class but most of the children in his extension english and maths groups are summer birthdays so hopefully starting them all together is helping to even out the disadvantage.

Its interesting that on this site we are complaining about our dc's being disadvantaged by starting school later whereas over on MN there are lots of parents complaining that their summer birthday children have to start school in September. I guess this just proves that you can never please all of the people all of the time!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now