Is my dd suitable for the 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KB

Re: Is my dd suitable for the 11+

Post by KB »

As far as book are concerned I would look at classics rather than modern if you want to stretch literacy without taking on adult themes - Black Beauty, Heidi.....
For newer works maybe Michael Morpurgo?

If you are concerned you can always read the books first.

Clearly DD needs to read the books for herself but you can make it more fun by sharing the reading a bit too as long as you stop to discuss any 'new' words, then she will still be improving vocabulary.
You could also buy commercially recorded versions of the harder classics for listening to in the car etc - its another way of improving vocabulary. It has been shown that if children are familiar with hearing the language then they will find it easier to develop their reading.
moved

Post by moved »

For books this thread on the English forum is useful

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =1&t=17436" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like timez attack for learning tables. It is free for download and is a platform game with a little man, some tame monsters and snails

http://www.bigbrainz.com/Multiplication.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mostly just have fun at the moment.
gertie

Post by gertie »

With regards to VR, really important to read wide ranging materials and have a good understanding of words in all their contexts. Some words in the tests are not necessarily words we would regularly use or even come across in modern reading which is why classic books and wider material is important. Having said that your DD is still very young so best to take it slowly.

Also, does your DD enjoy word puzzles? My DD loves all sorts, especially word puzzles and found the practice papers quite fun - this might be fun way to prepare from a young age.

Just wanted to say (as I think another post mentioned) be careful not to start DD on practice papers (or any tutoring) too early on. It is all too easy for DC's to peak before the exam, by which time they will have lost interest/become exhausted with the whole thing and consequently results start to drop off.