How do waiting lists work?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
colchestermum

How do waiting lists work?

Post by colchestermum »

Hi
The latest thing to worry me know is how waiting lists work?
If my DS is not offered a place at CRGS but was close to getting in is he placed on waiting list automatically? And if so are we told what position he is at?

I know this might be all irrelevent to me but the strain of waiting is now making me think the worst and think he isn't going to get aplace!

Thanks
Minesatea

Re: How do waiting lists work?

Post by Minesatea »

Yes they are automatically on the waiting list for all schools of a higher preferance that are not initially offered, so if you are offered your third place school, DS will be placed on the waiting list for your second and first choice schools but not your fourth.

When you get the paperwork from the LA to accept your offered place I seem to remember there was a box to tick to state if you wished to remain on the waiting lists or not.

The LA will tell you positions on waiting lists if you phone but not usually for the first week or so. After that you can ring daily if you so wish!

Hopefully you will not need this information. Good luck, not much longer now!
KB

Post by KB »

Plus you may be able to get some idea on here - people tend to post their Dcs scores & place on the order of merit. Sometimes you can find out who got the last place so you get an idea of where you might be on the waiting list.
This isnt foolproof put it might give you idea sooner that you can get an official answer.

Hope you dont have to worry about this though....
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

Thank you everyone!

Like you say fingers crossed we will not the information but good to know all the same!

:P
XCRGSMUM

Post by XCRGSMUM »

As far as I know it is still the case that your son will remain on the CRGS waiting list if he does not get a place immediately right up till Xmas, (thats how it worked for one of mine) after that if a place becomes available it is a question of sitting more exams.

4 more places are created in yr 9 and a competitive exam is taken in yr 8 for yr 9 entry.
rastacat

Post by rastacat »

Hello

Congratulations to all those who got the news they were hoping for and good luck to any still waiting to hear.
We weren't fortunate enough to get allocated first choice so whilst we are bigging up DS's achievement in getting second choice GS, my mind is now whirring away on the matter of waiting lists and by how much he may have missed out. Having browsed this forum and reviewed postings by Moved relating to last year's results, it would appear that a ranking of 165 made it in to KEGS. What is the deal with waiting lists ? Can anyone share how long it might take and how much movement we should expect ?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Rastacat

re waiting lists... this varies from year to year and can't really be predicted. What you are looking for is people who are perhaps a) sitting on an indie place and can't decided what to do b) moving house. c) successful appeals by people to other places

b) tends to be very small numbers -
a) can be very variable depending on area and how many indies there are and how the economy (national and personal) feels
c) can take some time to shake down.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I would just add that your ranking is useful for working out where you are on the waiting list but it is your actual position on the waiting list that is crucial. Last year I think KEGS finally went down to around the 180's/90's on the actual ranking with 165 being the last place offered on allocation day. The rankings can be misleading as they include everyone who put that particular school on their form irrespective of whether it was their first/last choice. Factor in the consideration that KEGS is viable from London and that London applicants have six choices and you can see why they end up going so far down the list. You could be ten ranking places behind the last child allocated but be first on the waiting list if those ranked higher have already got their first choices elsewhere.
scattymum

Post by scattymum »

So how and when do we find out where our child is on a waiting list? Will there be a phone number for the LA on the forms we receive?
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I'm not sure if it's the LEA, CSSE or individual schools who manage the waiting lists. Last year the CSSE was closed on allocation day but I don't know if that's the case this year. There's probably something in the admissions booklet about it but I don't have one this year.