English Paper Nov 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Re: English Paper Nov 2010

Post by moved »

Hi Nefertiti,

Sorry to hear that you missed out on KEGS, but congratulations on getting Anglo. One of my daughter's siblings (also French bilingual) got excellent GCSEs from Anglo last year and preferred to stay there for VI form rather than entering grammar.

Would you mind posting your scores on the Scores thread with your position and standardised score?

Kind regards and best wishes for the future

Moved
Nefertiti

Post by Nefertiti »

thanks moved. I was a little bit disappointed as I really liked KEGS too: science and language speciality, very good combination in such a competitive international environment. I will post his results. And well done for supporting the forum making sure we are all getting some good advice.... shame did not know of this earlier.
good luck to you and children in the future.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Moved... Have you had a chance to look at the English 2010 paper yet? What did you think?

I was surprised how high the maths marks were this year. I have just looked at the paper. There seems to be a big emphasis on basic computation skills and using and applying skills. Did your pupils find this paper easier than the ones set in previous years?
Last edited by Blitz on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moved

Post by moved »

The maths papers for the last three years seem to have been more straightforward than before. Lots of the maths paper could have been found on many of the previous papers and not all of the questions were simple. Backwards mean, floor tiles and the total (involving multiplying) on a bar chart were harder questions in my opinion.

Regarding the English paper I thought that some of the questions were rather strange. I didn't agree with the answer to question 1. There was some frightening language used. I wouldn't expect a 10 year old to know what oxymoron or pathetic fallacy meant, but I would expect an understanding of personification, onomatopoeia and metaphor.
Some of the spelling was extremely easy, but apoplectic, malice and conceiving were hard.
choudsal

Post by choudsal »

I've just seen some results and wanted to know how the weighted average is worked out and how grammer places are allocated. My DS has a place at GRGS but we put KEGS down as first choice because it's on our door step (We are delighted and proud he has been offered a place)- he always found english challenging so i knew if anything was going to let him down it would be the english, but i've read people who got lower marks in english, maths and VR get into KEGS- can someone tell me how it's worked out please.
moved

Post by moved »

No one with lower marks in all three papers than your son should have a place at KEGS. Do you have an example?
The weighting is to allow for the difficulty of the papers. This year the maximum mark for the English will be lower than normal and probably higher for the maths. VR is always double weighted.
choudsal

Post by choudsal »

Where do people veiw the Nov 2010 exam papers?
moved

Post by moved »

Purchase it from the CSSE, but only worth it if you've got more children or find someone else who has already bought it.

http://www.csse.org.uk/parentalpractice ... an2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now