Standardisation? VR 50% of marks becomes 1/3 of marks????

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest12

Standardisation? VR 50% of marks becomes 1/3 of marks????

Post by Guest12 »

I really don't get the standardisation and I know it's a complicated process. However, I am just wondering how english/maths are 25% of the marks and VR is 50%, when each area is standardised out of 130. Don't they then become one third when added together when standardised or am I being Stupid!!! Please someone explain!
moved

Re: Standardisation? VR 50% of marks becomes 1/3 of marks??

Post by moved »

You are not being stupid. They are standardised to 130 but VR is still worth double. The whole system is complicated and relies on a vast knowledge of statistics. The good news is that it means that if a test is hard the scores required are lower and if a test is easy the scores required are higher. It is designed to "iron out" the creases in the system.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Do not attempt to understand the standardisation - that way madness lies. Check out the archive and there's lots of helpful and illuminating stuff (if you have a degree in advanced statistics). Just remember 25/25/50 and that the score itself doesn't really matter - only the ranking.
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

I'm currently studying degree year 2 level stats and can confirm it is where the madness lies - I have been studying it for years and I still do not understand how it is arrived at - that is why we have computer programmes!! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now