Chelmsford County High 2011

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Re: Chelmsford County High 2011

Post by moved »

We were told that DD would be in the bottom 10% IF she, by some fluke, made it into CCHS. Nothing is further from the truth she spent year 7 receiving certificates like they were playing cards! I think we often believe that only geniuses can access these schools but really the children seem very normal to me. Good luck in the future, but don't ever think that your child is not able enough, just give it a go. We were very lucky to have got through, but I would have been pleased if they had got into any of the Southend grammars too.

Both DC travelled from Thorpe Bay to Chelmsford daily before we moved (4 terms for DS and 1 for DD). Plenty of children still do the same journey. I now do it in reverse! I know of several children in years 7 and 8 who travel daily from Southend so your DD will have company on the train.

We chose the Chelmsford grammars over those in Southend because the children could study Latin, which was important to me.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

We did the tour of the local Grammars last September. We liked SHSG, WHSG then CCHS in that order. We also looked at our very good local comp. We came away (absolutely exhausted with information and statistics overload!) but with the feeling that we are in a Win, win, win, win situation as I would be happy for DD to get a place at any of these schools- a lovely position to be in. DD is very able and would thrive at a Grammar but equally do very well in any school she went to, she's just that type of girl. DS is another story!

However, logistics must come into it for us. We live in Chelmsford and DD could walk home from CCHS. It's a jolly long walk to Southend! But WHSG bus goes from outside out house at 7.40 each day and OH works near SHSG so all options are viable. Headteacher said we should definitely look at ColHSG. However I am not prepared to drive round to Sainsbury's each morning and evening for the next 7 years so we will not even look.

What I am trying to say if all the schools were side by side on Broomfield Road our preference would be SHSG, WHSG, CCHS and local Comp. But they are not, and things like snowy weather, parents evenings, school plays/performances, exam times in Y11 (Do you reall want to be at school at 8.20 for a 1.30 exam?), outside school social life etc have to be considered IMHO. So we are likely to go for CCHS, WHSG, SHSG and local comp in that order.

Are we mad to completely reverse our preference on logistics grounds? We had a 90 min tour at each school, it gave us a flavour at that moment in time. If we did the tours again next year would our preferences be the same? I'm sure the child who shows you round can also make or break your feelings about the school too, even though most people are sensible enough to look beyond this. But at the end of the day we are lucky to have such good schools locally even if the 11 plus system does put pressure on our DC at such a young age.
woeful

Post by woeful »

Everybody has a right to make their own choices and you want to make the best decisions you can for your DS/DD. I really can't see the point of travelling to Chelmsford from Southend though, no matter how hard I try. If you have to do it the other way round because of the no catchment and higher mark required, etc, for Chelmsford, then fair enough.
Southend do teach Latin, I believe, although not sure whether it is available right up to GCSE at the moment. I think every grammar school should teach Latin but that's a matter of opinion. They are all great schools, shame there aren't more of them.