Appeals to Super-selectives in Essex

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AJW

Re: Appeals to Super-selectives in Essex

Post by AJW »

I've just had a difficult fortnight and am a bit late posting, sorry.

I have twin boys and we are in catchment for KEGS and hope they will both get in for their sakes and ours, but it is uncertain - one has a "green" light at 357.901, the other a "yellow" light at 346.405.

I would appreciate some advice as to how to proceed from here. Our circumstances are unusual in that we have twins and I have recurrent cancer, which is likely to require futher treatment in Chelmsford hospitals in the next 7 years and we are keen to keep our family logistics as simple as possible (the idea of kids on buses taking an hour to get to Colchester and or Southend stresses me, as I cannot drive long distances when in chemo). In the online application I made today to secondary schools, I mentioned our particular circumstances in the "other reasons" box, although I know the super selectives are very strict on appeals about extraneous circumstances.

I gather scores, for boys especially, have been lower than usual this year and note from a posting on your forum that the Head of KEGS indicated at the Open Afternoon last Friday, which I was unfortunately unable to attend, that a score of 339 will probably secure an offer this year.

Should I just relax and be fairly confident about the outcome in our case or should I be rushing about getting my oncologist to provide medical report etc. now to send into ECC and KEGS? I know my oncologist and the boys' existing school headmistress would provide reports supporting an appeal, as the boys should fit in and thrive at KEGS, but I don't know whether to try to get them now or await the outcome in March. I don't want to stress myself out unnecessarily, but equally wish to pre-empt any future stress, for my own peace of mind.. March seems a long way away!

Thanks for any input.
fausto

Post by fausto »

AJW - I read your first two paragraphs and thought you were remarkable.. twin boys, hoping to get them both into a super - selective..

and then I read your third paragagraph. What a remarkable person you are.

and then I read the words that really cemented your amazingness.... "Should I just relax... " !

I actually have no idea on KEGS, my DS1 is at CRGS and I am hoping DS2 might have a chance there next year. I do however feel you should find out all that you can, your situation is unusual and I would strongly suggest that you explore all opportunities that you can.

.. twins.. boys... 11+.. KEGS.. recurrent cancer.. and you apologise for being late posting on the forum ! You are remarkable.
KB

Post by KB »

Hi
You,ll probably find it easier if you stick to one thread to post on- or start a new one?

I would start by phoning LEA on Monday and finding out what is the timescale for appeal ie how long would you have after allocations day to lodge the appeal. That way you'll have a better idea whether to start preparing it now or wait in the hope you don't need to!
I don't believe giving the LEA the info now will make any difference in initial allocation of places because this has to be done by published criteria and I'm pretty sure that parental illness isn't a listed criteria.
Hopefully the boys' scores will be enough on their own and you will avoid any more stress.
All the very best.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You'll find the answers to most questions in the Appeals section.

Time scale for appeals
See the Appeals Code para. 2.1(a):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, although you would probably have to submit an appeal form around the end of March, you wouldn't need to set out your case at that point in time.
If you wish, you could simply write “Details of case to follow”. In practice most appeals are not going to be heard before the end of April or beginning of May at the earliest.
dutchy005 wrote:First of all go to the appeals section and read everything .......
If you want more specific info feel free to PM me but definitely go through everything on the appeals section first.
yoyo123 wrote:have a look at the appeals section of this forum, there is a Q&A page which may answer some of your questions.
moved wrote:I would wait and see what her results are. Have a good read through the appeals section on the forum.
A good place to start is here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

distraught wrote:I know there is an appeals section but have searched it and there is virtually nothing about Essex on it.

Does anyone know whether it is worth even attempting to appeal to KEGS or CRGS. It would appear that once every two or three years one appeal gets through KEGS but what about CRGS? We have been told that the whole system is just geared to ensuring no appeals are succesful because it would undermine the whole CSSE thing.

We are desperate can anyone help?

Suresh is your man if you can find him on here. He will give you chapter and verse about the CRGS appeal system having been through it himself a couple of years ago.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

XCRGSMUM wrote:Well done upon wining an appeal to CRGS, yours is the only success I have ever heard of to CRGS.

My middle son, for whom we lost an appeal, with an older brother already at CRGS, won one of the 4 new places created in yr 9 and did very well at the school. (Having created mayhem in a supposedly good comp for 2 years) Indeed his A level results were even better than those of his younger brother who started at the school in yr 7 at the same time as middle son.

I believe there are many boys who are very capable and who would benefit from the education on offer at CRGS (and indeed KEGS) who each year loose out simply because there are not enough selective places in north and mid-Essex. The current system fails to provide for the special needs of many academically able youngsters! Some of those youngsters, especially bright lads, never fulfil their potential and a few end up in bad places.

Time to climb down off my soap box now :lol:
Not the only. Just to give you hope. I'm 99% certain suresh's son got in following an appeal to CRGS. He had so much moral support from people on this forum. Search for suresh and read his threads.
AJW

Post by AJW »

Thank you everyone for your comments and to you, Etienne, in particular for directing me to the relevant parts of the Appeals Section of the Forum.

All I am going to do for now is to send a simple letter in to Essex County Council, copied to KEGS, referring to the "Reasons for this Preference" box I completed on the CAF. I'm very glad I completed that box now - I notice this is recommended in Point A27 of your Section A Appeals - General Points.

My oncologist and the boys' headmistress are willing to support any appeal that needs to be made in March, but I am reasonably confident that actually, on the basis of this year's slightly depressed 11 plus marks and the Head of KEG's comments at KEGS Open Afternoon on 24th October, it may not be necessary.

Fingures crossed and thanks again.

AJW
Hedgehogmum

Post by Hedgehogmum »

Wish you the very best of luck x
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

You may be a little late. It was four years ago.
Hedgehogmum

Post by Hedgehogmum »

Hmmm I don't really use these forums much! Whoops. Ah well. Hope it went well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now