Appeals to Super-selectives in Essex

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dutchy005

Re: Appeals to Super-selectives in Essex

Post by dutchy005 »

First of all go to the appeals section and read everything.

The basics are that you have to demonstrate that your DD was and is at an academic level such that she would reasonably have been expected to comfortably pass the 11 plus well enough to gain a place at the school to which you are appealing. Then you have to explain what happened to cause the underperformance on the day. The last piece of the jigsaw is that you have to demonstrate why this is the right school for your DC.

In terms of academic evidence you need as much as possible gather anything at all you have but most importantly you will need the support of your DD's school.

Reasons accepted as mitigation for underperformance include: death of someone close to the DC, illness in the family or of the DC, divorce or family break-up/disturbance of some sort , disruption in domestic life, or disturbance in the exam room. Fortunately our family life was strong but we had most of the others in one shape or form including a documented disturbance in the exam room. Be careful with your mitigation and bear in mind that the panel needs to be satisfied that the underperformance was a blip and not on-going drop in performance.

Everything included must be supported with documentary evidence.

Go through the prospectus with a fine-toothed comb and list every little thing that makes this a particularly appropriate school for your DD. Again, back this up with evidence.

If you want more specific info feel free to PM me but definitely go through everything on the appeals section first.

We have shown it can be done and are absolutely delighted.

Very good luck.
Nickynackynoo

Post by Nickynackynoo »

Thanks for your response. Do I need to get an appeal form from somewhere? Or do I just write a letter and submit all evidence along with it? I have looked on the Essex county council website and cant find much out. Thanks again!!
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

You should have received details of how to appeal together with your offer letter. If you didn't I'd phone up admissions and ask them. For most schools it is a standard form you fill in.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have a look at the appeals section of this forum, there is a Q&A page which may answer some of your questions

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
choudsal

Post by choudsal »

I just wanted to ask what they look for in an appeal and what are the chances of success.
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

In an appeal for oversubscription my understanding is that you have to demonstrate:

1. That the DC is academically able to have reasonably been expected to comfortably have attained a high enough mark to gain an automatic place at the school in question;

2. That their underperformance was unpredicted and unexpected and extreme;

3. That there were mitigating factors to explain the underperformance:

4. Why this is absolutely the right school for the DC.

All these have to be strong enough to outweigh and prejudice to the school in having to go over PAN even though they never do as appeals are mopped up by way of not giving places to DCs on the waiting list.

I have PMd you our story.

Good luck
Suresh

Post by Suresh »

Hi Everyone,

We had a successful appeal against CRGS ( The second ever known after Dutchy005). I will post the case in a couple of days as soon as i sought it out with the school all the formalities. If anyone wants any info, please PM me, i will answer them.

Thank you all of you for the help and many many thanks to Dutchy005, without her help and guidance i never would have gone through this.
bendyspatula

Post by bendyspatula »

Well done Suresh and thanks also to duchy005 for all you've both shared. I'm not at results or offer stage yet but already being advised by CCHS that the appeals route may be my only option! I've documented what I can about what happened on Saturday but DD's health issue wasn't medically certified as it was a cold that affected each of us heavily but mainly only for 48 hours, so no docs open or consulted...

DD had OK mock scores but these were in July, she wasn't at the top of her tutor group by any means then but really stepped up her efforts over the summer hols and was getting consistent test scores over the 85% mark during late August and September (although not under exam conditions). At school she's top for everything and got 100% in a Maths test the day before the 11+, also taken by 3 classmates who took the same CSSE paper yet got 20% and more lower than her in the Maths test at school.... if they get higher scores in the 11+ Maths that will tell a lot....

But is that evidence enough? The lack of age asandardisation is also likely to count against her, she is a late May baby so many months younger than some who were already 11 when they sat the test on Saturday....

DD isn't pushing us to appeal, she;'s decided she isn't "a grammar school girl after all" and has even said she might refuse a place were she offered one so I'm at a loss to know whether to just give up or not.
moved

Post by moved »

I would wait and see what her results are. Have a good read through the appeals section on the forum.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

This may be very useful CardyMow

http://www.crgs.co.uk/documents/appeals ... 3Entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;