Chelmsford County High 2011

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nini

Chelmsford County High 2011

Post by nini »

I was wondering whether anyone can tell me what the cut off point for entry was at Chelmsford County High for 2011. My dd has set her heart on this school but I am worried that she is not going to pass even though she is a very bright girl. Does anyone know how much preparation are these girls getting on average? I know it varies according to ability but I just have no idea and I would appreciate your honest answers.

Many thanks.
Tea Lover

Re: Chelmsford County High 2011

Post by Tea Lover »

Hi Nini

I don't know what the cut off point is for Chelmsford County High, but the thread on scores may shed light on it. If your daughter is very bright, then go for it! Don't be put off - after all 120 girls have to get a place! We almost didn't put it down for DD1 for the same reasons you are worried about, but we're very glad we did. DD1 had six months tutoring, because I figured that if she was bright enough to get in, she shouldn't need much tutoring. Then I discovered that most kids were tutored for a year - or more! She did get in. For DD2, I started tutoring from the beginning of year 5, to give her the same chance as the other kids. DD2 got a place too. A few girls will get in with a little familiarisation with the papers, a few may have years of tutoring, but I think a year is plenty (and six months was fine too).

Sorry to ramble. I'm just trying to say, if she's bright then she's got a good chance of getting in. The amount of tutoring will depend on the child, but don't be put off from applying. Go to the open evenings and talk to the girls there. The second open evening tends to be quieter than the first and it is, therefore, more pleasant to check out the school.

I hope this helps!
nini

Post by nini »

Hi Tea Lover

You have really made my day! We live in Southend but my dd does not like the local grammars. She just fell in love with CCH. Yesterday we were feeling really down. The passmark seemed so high and the journey from Southend so long! I was so pleased to hear that your daughters did not go through endless years of tuition and still they got in. This gives me hope!! Are you pleased with the school? Would you recommend it for someone who would have to travel from Southend?

Many thanks.
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

I think it's a great school and DD1 is very happy there. DD2 starts in September and is really looking forward to it - particularly Chemistry lessons (I think she sees herself as a mad scientist)! DD1 loves music and is in both orchestras. The school is also heavily into sports, if your DD is into that. There will be plenty of extra-curricular activites that your DD can take part in.

I don't know how long the journey from Southend takes, but the bus takes just less than an hour from here. DD1 thinks it's worth it, so that's okay with us. It depends on how long your DD is prepared to travel. I'm sure there will be other children travelling from Southend and your DD will probably enjoy chatting to them.

I would recommend the school, provided the length of journey doesn't make life difficult.
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

Indeed Nini, we also nearly got put off by the hype about how hard it is to get into Chelmsford Girls, but you know what? "All things are possible to them that beleive!"

We had a vision (and this is where you need to dream it and beleive it!!) don't give up!! I was in a consortium of moms who tutored their kids every weekend from year 4. We started off with KS2 papers then onto the practise papers of all sorts.

I don't beleive you have to start early, infact any situation you find yourself in, pick it up from there. The worst case scenario is that you put Chelmsford down as 1st choice and DC gets 2nd choice. I would have been gutted if I didn't put Chelmsford down as 1st choice because she got in with a ranking of 63.

Go for it! It can be done! I know, some are brighter than others, but you give it your best shot.
Araucana

Post by Araucana »

This is really interesting as I had in my head that we should just put down WHSG for our dd (providing she is able enough - year 3 at present so early days), as what were the chances of CCHS! I would love CCHS as it is so much closer than Southend schools.

What is the general thing to do - put CCHS as number 1, one of the others that you don't mind as number 2, say WHSG and a favoured non grammar school as 3(dd is in a faith school so we could put Brentwood Ursuline, but not convinced I want a faith secondary school) and the local comp - Billericay School as 4.

I just panic that what if she doesn't do so well and then we miss the others, but the posts on this subject in the forum seem to imply you shouldn't see it like that.

Not sure if I know any other mums doing the 11 plus in 3 year's time, I daren't mention it at dd and ds 's school - they will probably think I am mad :roll:
nini

Post by nini »

Hi Tea Lover and Optimisticmom

Thank you for your encouragement. I am glad not everyone is doing endless hours of tuition! She is so keen to get to CCH! We want to support her as much as we can but she is only 10 and we must strike the right balance between support and pressure that would make her unhappy. Well done to your children! I wish my dd was in the same boat!! All the best for the next academic year and thank you!

nini
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

You should list the schools in your true order of preference. The schools do not know what order you list them and will not be able to turn you down on that basis. Generally, if you score high enough to get into CCHS, then you have scored high enough to get into Westcliff or Southend too. So, if you place Westcliff as first choice and CCHS second, (and your score is high enough to get into CCHS), you will be offered Westcliff as you put it as your first preference. So the CCHS option will be wasted! You must list them in order of your true preference. If you don't score high enough for choice no.1, then choice no.2 becomes your new no.1 preference.

Just make sure you list a local school you are happy with that you KNOW your child will be offered a place at, just in case they don't manage a place at a grammar school.

I'm sure somebody posted an explanation of this (much more eloquently than me) a few months ago.

All the best.
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

Hi Nini

I'd go for it if I was you. You've got nothing to lose.

Thank you for your kind words.
woeful

Post by woeful »

Nini, hope you don't mind me asking but what is it your daughter does not like about the local grammar schools! CCHS is an excellent school, I agree but so are both the Southend grammars. We have three children, two of which are girls and are only one school year apart. One is in the upper sixth at SHSG and one has recently finished at CCHS. They are both very happy and have made excellent friends. Equally, they have both done very well academically. 11+ result wise, they were a long way apart and yet they both obtained A*,A and B grades at GCSE, with the SHSG daughter gaining one grade less, if you see what I mean, than her sister. However, the CCHS daughter gained BBBBB at A/s level (obviously she has now completed her full A levels) where her sister has gained AAAAB at SHSG in similar subjects.

Unless your daughter really dislikes the local grammars that much, I can't see the point in travelling at all. If she really insists on putting CCHS as a first choice, then you could consider a move to Chelmsford if she gets in.

There a number of girls and boys who are "forced" by the results system to travel all the way from Chelmsford to Southend schools every day (and I don't know one of them who hasn't done extremely well at all levels, despite the travelling) but, like I said, they live much nearer Chelmsford and would have preferred not to have the added burden of expense/travel. However, I personally think ignoring WHSG and SHSG if they are local to you is very odd. (sorry don't mean to seem rude or be offensive.
Good luck, whatever you do.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now