Moving to Colchester or Chelmsford?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kelmum

Moving to Colchester or Chelmsford?

Post by kelmum »

Hi all

i would really appreciate some advice about where is the better or shall i say most sensible place to move to. My daughter got an offer at colchester grammar school for girls, i am totally confused about what to do now... I also want to be near a good primary school for her sisters who are currently in year1 and reception.
stressed out!!... help please, any ideas welcomed!!!
:roll:
laluna

Re: Moving to Colchester or Chelmsford?

Post by laluna »

Hi!

I have lived in both Colchester and Chelmsford. I grew up in Colchester and returned here in 2000 as it has always been home and I wanted to raise my family here. Chelmsford is fine but lacks the character in my opinion!

If your DD has been offered a place at Colchester CHS then why consider Chelmsford? There are excellent primaries in Colchester, near to CCHS too. I dont know if I am allowed to make direct recommendations on this site but please feel free to pm me as I do have a fair bit of insight into my home town! I would be happy to point you in the appropriate direction as it was an area we researched when moving back here. My two are currently at a state primary which is v. good.

Congratulations on your daughter's success.
KB

Post by KB »

If you have a choice then it would seem to make sense to move nearer Colchester. If you are concerned about keeping the options open for your younger two re choice of GS then moving somewhere along the A12 would seem sensible - then they can travel to Colchester or Chelmsford when the time comes (but you might think this is too far off to worry just yet). Maybe Kelvedon area? I am many years out of date with primary schools in Witham & Braintree, but you might want to check as there used to be some poor ones.

In general the closer you move to London, the shorter the commute and the more expensive the housing but there are of course exceptions due to particularly 'good' or 'bad' areas of any town. On the same basis it tends to be more expensive to live in the small towns/villages on the train line than a bit further out.

Would think about your eldest travelling in & out of school for extra curricular activities & to meet up with friends as she gets older - you might want to be on a reasonable bus route if you are not within walking distance. Lexden Road/Shrub End/Prettygate would certainly make DD's walk to school easy but they are also some of the most exepnsive areas of Colchester so you get less house for your money....

Colchester is growing but I think it is still less built up than Chelmsford. If you want a village and you aren't worried about keeping the Chelmsford GS option open then I think you will get more for your money in the villages around Colchester if you can go away from the popular commuter areas/ towards Clacton. Do watch out if you go towards the Tendring side though because Cingoe Hill (near the University) is a nightmare to get in to town in rush hour (buses are OK as they cut through the University road) if that is something you will need to do regularly.

I know the rules keep changing , but am pretty sure that primary schools don't have to take new children if they are full (someone will correct me I'm sure) so it can get pretty tricky to juggle everything!!

Happy to help with info on particular areas if you decide on Colchester option & sure there are others with knowledge of Chelmsford.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Living in Colchester I would also recommend it. There are plenty of good primary schools but these all tend to be oversubscribed. As your younger 2 are both infant age the maximum class size of 30 will apply so finding a place will be the biggest problem - especially for both in the same school which I expect you would want!

The other thing to bear in mind if you are thinking of public transport to school for your DD is that unlike CRGS, Col CHS is not really walkable from the town centre. The best bus route within colchester is the first bus no. 65 (highwoods to stanway) so maybe looking at areas along that route if you can't move within walking distance (house prices quite high in that area!)

(I also have a DD starting there in sept) :D
kelmum

Post by kelmum »

KB wrote:If you have a choice then it would seem to make sense to move nearer Colchester. If you are concerned about keeping the options open for your younger two re choice of GS then moving somewhere along the A12 would seem sensible - then they can travel to Colchester or Chelmsford when the time comes (but you might think this is too far off to worry just yet). Maybe Kelvedon area? I am many years out of date with primary schools in Witham & Braintree, but you might want to check as there used to be some poor ones.

In general the closer you move to London, the shorter the commute and the more expensive the housing but there are of course exceptions due to particularly 'good' or 'bad' areas of any town. On the same basis it tends to be more expensive to live in the small towns/villages on the train line than a bit further out.

Would think about your eldest travelling in & out of school for extra curricular activities & to meet up with friends as she gets older - you might want to be on a reasonable bus route if you are not within walking distance. Lexden Road/Shrub End/Prettygate would certainly make DD's walk to school easy but they are also some of the most exepnsive areas of Colchester so you get less house for your money....

Colchester is growing but I think it is still less built up than Chelmsford. If you want a village and you aren't worried about keeping the Chelmsford GS option open then I think you will get more for your money in the villages around Colchester if you can go away from the popular commuter areas/ towards Clacton. Do watch out if you go towards the Tendring side though because Cingoe Hill (near the University) is a nightmare to get in to town in rush hour (buses are OK as they cut through the University road) if that is something you will need to do regularly.

I know the rules keep changing , but am pretty sure that primary schools don't have to take new children if they are full (someone will correct me I'm sure) so it can get pretty tricky to juggle everything!!

Happy to help with info on particular areas if you decide on Colchester option & sure there are others with knowledge of Chelmsford.
hi KB.
Many thanks for taking time out to answer my question first of all!And the info is invaluable, I have been searching the internet and usually started to end up with a tension headache! :(
But thanks you once again, i now feel more confident about the whole relocation thing! Any other advice will be helpful, especially about the particular areas in Colchester.
Regards
Kelmum
kelmum

Post by kelmum »

Minesatea wrote:Living in Colchester I would also recommend it. There are plenty of good primary schools but these all tend to be oversubscribed. As your younger 2 are both infant age the maximum class size of 30 will apply so finding a place will be the biggest problem - especially for both in the same school which I expect you would want!

The other thing to bear in mind if you are thinking of public transport to school for your DD is that unlike CRGS, Col CHS is not really walkable from the town centre. The best bus route within colchester is the first bus no. 65 (highwoods to stanway) so maybe looking at areas along that route if you can't move within walking distance (house prices quite high in that area!)

(I also have a DD starting there in sept) :D
hi Minesata,
thank you very much for the reply! And the heads up on the bus service, i will surely keep all this information. As for my two younger ones, i suspected getting them into the same school might be a challenge, but like they say: Keep calm and carry on! is the best option for now.
Many thanks once again for the advice, hey! won't it be great that our girls might meet up! Congratulations on your DD's achievement and every ones out there. :D
kelmum

Post by kelmum »

laluna wrote:Hi!

I have lived in both Colchester and Chelmsford. I grew up in Colchester and returned here in 2000 as it has always been home and I wanted to raise my family here. Chelmsford is fine but lacks the character in my opinion!

If your DD has been offered a place at Colchester CHS then why consider Chelmsford? There are excellent primaries in Colchester, near to CCHS too. I dont know if I am allowed to make direct recommendations on this site but please feel free to pm me as I do have a fair bit of insight into my home town! I would be happy to point you in the appropriate direction as it was an area we researched when moving back here. My two are currently at a state primary which is v. good.

Hi,
I have send you a pm, thank you :D
moved

Post by moved »

laluna wrote:Hi!

No reason not to put your recommendations on the site. It is only direct advertising for gain that is not allowed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now