Suitable Dictionary/Thesaurus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Essex_Dad

Suitable Dictionary/Thesaurus

Post by Essex_Dad »

Hi All,

Any suggestions on which dictionary/thesaurus will be suitable for my DD to take to CCHS(Chelmsford).

DD already has a Oxford thesaurus mini.

Thank you.

Essex_Dad :D
scarlett

Re: Suitable Dictionary/Thesaurus

Post by scarlett »

Does your daughters school recommend a dictionary ? The grammar ( in Kent ) that my son will be attending ask that we buy the Chambers English Dictionary. I haven't purchased it yet but had a quick look on Amazon and it looks quite good.
Beansmum

Post by Beansmum »

They recommend one in the second pack with all the forms, and details of the 15 minute meeting. Collins pocket dictionary and thesaurus for every day, and Oxford English Reference Dictionary and The Oxford Thesaurus for home use, (Roget's is the best but difficult to use!). We had our meeting today and I asked the year 10 girls who were 'hosting' if they used their dictionary, and two said they didn't really use them at all. I think I will wait and see, as we do have several quite good/large dictionaries and thesauruses (thesauri?) already.
Essex_Dad

Post by Essex_Dad »

Thanks for the replies.

We also have some OUP dictionaries/thesaurus, I was just curious if they exactly took the OUP reference to school, it's quite a size.

Our meeting is on Monday morning looking forward to it, also bought the P.E kit the other day, my DD was spotting who else was in her house colour's.

Thank you :D
manicmummy

Post by manicmummy »

We have two sets of Oxford pocket dictionary and theSaurus so think i will go with those . Unfortunately had to miss the pe fitting Tues so we rebooked for next week for everything green! We had a great meeting Wednesday every visit settles DD even more :)
Beansmum

Post by Beansmum »

We went to buy the pe kit, and DD said she was red, so I bought red, and on the way home she says "well, I think my house is red."!! Didn't have my phone, so desperately thinking of friends with DD at CHSG who would be on my daughter's phone, to call and confirm before we got all the way home!

She was red - lucky for her.
moved

Post by moved »

DD says that her dictionary is in her locker and never gets used and that she lent her thesaurus to her brother last year and hasn't seen it since. She uses askoxford.com and thesaurus.reference.com

I wouldn't rush out and buy one unless you really want to.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I agree moved. I dutifully bought DS French and Latin dictionaries - what does he use? google translate! The dictionaries sit and gather dust on his shelf.
moved

Post by moved »

http://www.wordreference.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is great for MFL
Essex_Dad

Post by Essex_Dad »

Thank you all.

:D I saved a few pounds :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now