WESTCLIFF HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jojo

hullbridge girls

Post by jojo »

thanks goldjag for replying...my daughter is keen to sit the exam, we have been thrown into the deep end here as, we have only lived here for about 6 months and our previous area never offered to even discuss the 11+ ....well done to yours for all her hard work as it has paid off.......can i ask why you went for westcliffe and not southend high.
Also,do the grammar schools count as a choice when completing the secondary school options form?. We are concerned that if she was to fail the 11+ then she would end up with a real dire school out of the area......we moved round here as our previous area Thurrock had poor secondary school results and we wanted to give our kids a better chance in life. I went to a grammar school myself in kent and can honestly say that my education was excellent.....
goldjag

Hullbridge Girls

Post by goldjag »

Hi Jojo

We visited both schools SHSG & WHSG, I liked Southend but our daughter prefered Westcliff. Her tutor also agreed with our daughter & thought that Westcliff was more suited to her as she has a very scientific/maths mind. Also her tutor use to work full time as a teacher in a couple of the private school in Southend & has a vast knowledge of all the grammers in Essex.

When I spoke to her head about the 11+ she said to make sure that we put down her feeder school - which is Sweyne just in case she did not pass the 11+. Sweyne's policy last year was to except all children who attend the feeder school. I also spoke to the council & we were told that they are not allowed to tell the school which order you have placed them on the form, as this is against the data protection act.

It might be worth ringing the council to find out what the policy is for the 2008 intake for her feeder school. Our order of schools was:-
WHSG
SHSG
Sweyne

I didn't put down a fourth school as I beleived that if she didn't pass she would be offered a place at Sweyne.

Hope this is some help, have you started revising yet?, I must admit when it was all over it was like winning the lottery & even though she is now revising for her SAT's this feels like a walk in park compared to level of work put in for the 11+.

Does your daughter go to school in Hullbridge? if so, I'm down at the school most afternoons & it would be nice to meet you, as I know what it can be like when you are the only parent going through the 11+.

Regards Jacqui
pixietoria

Transport

Post by pixietoria »

Hi Goldjag (Jacqui)

Hope you guys do not mind me popping into your discussion, it seems we have the same transport issues. My daughter is also the first from Hullbridge to pass her 11+ but is off to SHSG. Congratulations to your daughter as I know what an achievement this is for girls from our area!!

It appears that the transport is the same for both schools as in bus routes..do you know where your daughter will join the bus?

Thanks again

Pixie
jojo

Post by jojo »

Many thanks Jacqui, yes we have started revising (only just) and felt ok until i received the english paper 2007.........i had trouble following the passage provided and i have read the book !!, have not shown this to my daughter yet as she prefers maths anyway and it might put her off completely......she is still a little shell shocked from starting a new school last september so when the 11+ was first mentioned she was not really interested until a few others girls in her year said that they are going to sit it....we are going to visit shsg and whsg together......my cousin taught at whsg for a while a few years ago and he was really impressed by it....wanted to stay but, the teacher wanted to return after maternity leave, so, unfortunately he lost out there.

i have spoken to the council and they seemed to think that putting sweyne as a 3rd option would be ok this year as well, thank goodness.

i was going to tutor my daughter myself, but not sure now, will have to try to grab you down the school to discuss this further, think mrs Th. (daughters teacher) mentioned you to us in passing once When she was explaining the 11+ system and the fact that someone was going to whsg.
goldjag

Post by goldjag »

Hi Pixie

Congratulations to your daughter as well. We have gone for the 502/512 routes run by First Buses, which picks up at Shotgate Post office, but I don't think it goes as far as SHSG. I'm not sure if they run other buses which go as far as SHSG.

On the information we received from WHSG the last stop seems to be SHSB. We did look at Stephensons coaches which pick up at the bottom of Rawerth lane (swimming pool end), but 1st Buses pick up later & drop off earlier, so this was a better option for us, as I don't know how she is going to cope with having to leave at 07:30 ish..... not very good at getting up in the morning. But as I'm at work by then my husband will have to deal with this (they say every cloud has a silver lining).

Does your daughter go to Riverside? as mine hasn't mentioned anyone else who has passed from her year group.

Hope you can find some mode of transport, I must admit when she had passed I then started to worry about how is going to cope on a bus everyday. For the last six years she has walked to school as we only live 5 minutes away.

Good luck
Jacqui
goldjag

Post by goldjag »

Hi Jojo

I think my daughter might have introduced herself to your daughter today, & said she was a really nice girl.

I think everyone else had the same thought when we heard about the english paper. I have also read the book, we found the passage they were given & nearly passed out..... when she told me the answers she had given as English is not her strongest subject. But surpriseing she did well in the paper, they don't seem to worry as much & just get on with the task in hand. Also english was the 1st paper but I'd said to her quite a few times (loads), once each paper is done put it to the back of your mind & more on to the next one. Her tutor was really hot on VR which carries the most marks, but I have been told they are changing the format this year on the VR.

I only know Mrs T slightly as our daughter hasn't had her as a teacher, but I have been to a couple of presentation she has done & was really impressed by her.

If you would like the number of our daughters teacher which I still have (as she wants to be kept upto date on how our daughter is doing). She was excellant & pushed our daughter to bring out the best in her, which I don't think I could have done. She also boosted her confidence & self believe. Also I know she was enjoying being with her as not once did she complain about having to give up an hour each Saturday.

Jacqui
jojo

hullbridge

Post by jojo »

Hi Jaqui (goldjag)......sorry, seem to have taken over this website at the moment...but it is so helpful for novices.

You are right they did speak today, my daughter mentioned it to me as soon as she came out of school!!! Your daughter obviously made a good impression - she knew of her from some of her yr5 friends who are in her class - all good feedback !!

Yes, I would love the number if you still have it that would be really helpful - perhaps your daughter could pass it onto mine as, having to pick my youngest from the reception class ( who is normally last out) I tend to miss all the parents waiting outside the junior school - everyone has gone by the time we wonder through!!

Many thanks once again

JO
goldjag

Hullbridge

Post by goldjag »

Hi Jo

I will give the information to my daughter to pass on tomorrow at school. Her tutor was recomended by one of our friends who went to private school in Southend, but just needed a little more help. He passed & is now in year 10 & doing really well, also I know she has successfully tutored other students for the 11+. I believe she is no longer teaching in mainstream school but just does the 11+.

I was interested to read about your brother (hope thats right) teaching at Westcliff & having such positive feed back. When we went on the day of the exam the head was there to greet us & everyone was very friendly, which did put our daughter at easy, she is really excited about going now & doesn't stop talking about it at home. They are having a two day induction in July which I think is a good idea, & hopefully she should make lots of new friends.

Hopefully one day in the future I might see you down at the school.
jojo

hullbridge

Post by jojo »

Hi Jacqui,

Many thanks for all the info given to my daughter.....it was really,really helpful. Hope all goes well for your daughter in July I am sure that she will really enjoy it, E said to me that she is a really popular pupil so obviously makes friends easily - always a good start.

Regards Jo.
pixietoria

Post by pixietoria »

Hi Jacqui (Goldjag)

Sorry for the delay in replying....the girls have been on holiday and I have been having some ME time. My daughter did go to Riverside but is now being home schooled until September for various issues, some relating to the fact some other girls didn't like her sitting and passing her 11+ We are now enjoying our time together and she is much more relaxed and is working hard! Much like you I am wondering how we are going to manage in September as my other daughter is at school in Chelmsford! So HUGE organisation is needed. Although she is really looking forward to going to SHSG in September! Thanks for the info on transport and good luck for September

Vic