Do people find the Bond comprehension tricky?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

Do people find the Bond comprehension tricky?

Post by Manana »

I've posted something similar on the English forum, but wondered what the Essex mums/dads/tutors feel? My DS is in Y4 and whilst he did the Bond English 8-9 with no trouble, he is struggling with the 9-10 Bond Comprehension-particularly the one we did yesterday on the Peak districk and cave/spring formation-it was jolly hard going!

Some really helpful people on the English board suggested using the Haydn, schofield and Sims and Letts success books, which I have ordered, but I wondered if it was common to find these Bond Comprehension papers hard? I'm also sure I read on here that the 9-10 were much harder than the 10-11, which worries me! He is 9.5-so surely, if he's 'grammar material' he should be able to do them? Are the 9-10 Comprehension harder than the 9-10 English books? He's a 4b in reading/writing at school-so I thought he was ok, but maybe not!?
no_ball

Re: Do people find the Bond comprehension tricky?

Post by no_ball »

We found this particular one soul destroying; in the end we sought other comprehension papers/exercises. These were a lot better. My DS passed all his entrance exams, so must have worked. For us changing track was key in keeping motivation and sanity going till the end.
Manana

Post by Manana »

no_ball wrote:We found this particular one soul destroying; in the end we sought other comprehension papers/exercises. These were a lot better. My DS passed all his entrance exams, so must have worked. For us changing track was key in keeping motivation and sanity going till the end.
Thank you; that's very reassuring!

Can I ask which other comphrehension papers you tried instead?

I'm glad to know it's not just us...
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

My DD is using the 9-10 English Assessment Papers and finding the comprehension part much trickier than the 8-9 book. Her scores are all over the place. Her school does no comprehension work whatsoever, which doesn't help. We've tried doing the comprehensions orally which has been useful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now