No names please - scores and schools will be useful

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

Next year's VR paper is to be multiple choice so I suspect comparisons to this years papers/scores possibly will not be of much relevance.

Post by Guest »

It will always be the case that year after year the scores will tell a different story. They do, however, tell parents that they shouldn't believe it when they are told they need to score very highly to get a place. My friend didn't put Chelmsford for her daughter this year because she was told that you needed to score 95%+ to get in. She got a place at Westcliff (out of catchment) and scored very well indeed.

This year the English paper was the focus point. Might be different next year. It's good to see, though, that parents are keen to find out as much as they can to try to understand more about 11+ and how it works in order to help their children. However, just when you think you've cracked it, they'll go and move the goalposts! :x

Post by Guest »

Shared child's results with (experienced) tutor, who is also clearly surprised that children are being offered places when results seem quite 'low'. (eg 70% in VR, as opposed to the 80-90+ marks that appear to have been required in previous years). Conclusion seemed to be that papers must have been particularly difficult this year. Therefore, as others have been saying, there may not be too much gained from thinking that 'low' scores may be ok to gain places next year - because the 2008 papers might end up being easier!! Who knows?!

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:The main advantage (that I can see) is that if the child trys the 2006 practise papers, then they can see how their performance compares to those who sat the papers - and the offers that were forthcoming. Having worked through various past papers it is clear that children find some more testing than others.
The only problem with this is that a child will undoubtedly perform better when doing the 2006 papers at home, than others did when confronted with the real 11+ day, and all the emotions, nerves etc that went with it!
It may not be very realistic, therefore, to compare the results of children doing papers in practice mode, with those who actually sat there, in the school halls, in Nov! What do others think?!

Post by Guest »

english 25/50
maths 23/45
vr 76/90
ss 331.5
kegs not offered
shsb offered and accepted

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:The main advantage (that I can see) is that if the child trys the 2006 practise papers, then they can see how their performance compares to those who sat the papers - and the offers that were forthcoming. Having worked through various past papers it is clear that children find some more testing than others.
The only problem with this is that a child will undoubtedly perform better when doing the 2006 papers at home, than others did when confronted with the real 11+ day, and all the emotions, nerves etc that went with it!
It may not be very realistic, therefore, to compare the results of children doing papers in practice mode, with those who actually sat there, in the school halls, in Nov! What do others think?!
Of course a child will perform better at home. That has to be factored into the equation when sitting practice papers. My son's practice papers for the 2006 entry were: English 38/50; Maths 37/40, VR 80/85 (NFER Standard 11C). We allowed for 5-10% drop and he dropped slightly over that on the actual test. He was offered his first choice.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:English 28/50
Maths 37/45
VR 64/90

Overall standardised score: 341.2

Schools:

KEGS (offered) 149/569
SHSB (out of catchment) 60/305
Hi,

I know Kegs only have 112 places. Can I assume that your son (many congrats by the way) got offered a place becuase some of the boys finsihing higher than him at Kegs have put Kegs as a second or lower choice and have therefore been offered there first choices, whether that be Colchester, Southend or Westcliff.

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Can I agree with previous posters. New parents be warned, there is something very strange about the VR marks that are being quoted; they seem to be significantly lower, for the equivalent placing, than in previous years. I not sure that the reduction of 5 minutes in time could have had that big an impact but maybe it has. I wonder if any parents with previous experience of the 11+ would have a view?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Can I agree with previous posters. New parents be warned, there is something very strange about the VR marks that are being quoted; they seem to be significantly lower, for the equivalent placing, than in previous years. I not sure that the reduction of 5 minutes in time could have had that big an impact but maybe it has. I wonder if any parents with previous experience of the 11+ would have a view?
They reduced the time and I think also the number of questions? Is that correct? If it is, it makes no difference to the previous year. My daughter sat the 11+ the previous year and got into Chelmsford but the VR scores were much higher. They have to set the bar on the performance of the children sitting it, so I suspect very few got 80%+. Not sure what has happened, but they are definitely much lower than I have been aware of before. It has definitely always been the case before that you had to get high in the VR particularly for the Chelmsford and Colchester schools - it was a given that you had to get 80+ plus to get in those schools but this year it seems 60's is acceptable. Interested to hear other people's views. Maybe the CSSE can spread some light on the scores for VR this year?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:English 28/50
Maths 37/45
VR 64/90

Overall standardised score: 341.2

Schools:

KEGS (offered) 149/569
SHSB (out of catchment) 60/305
Hi,

I know Kegs only have 112 places. Can I assume that your son (many congrats by the way) got offered a place becuase some of the boys finsihing higher than him at Kegs have put Kegs as a second or lower choice and have therefore been offered there first choices, whether that be Colchester, Southend or Westcliff.

Thanks
That's what I am assuming. The last person offered a place at KEGS last year was ranked 183 because people don't put it as first choice and eventually some even turn down their offer.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now