Is it possible to get through the 11+ without a tutor?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

butterfly36

Is it possible to get through the 11+ without a tutor?

Post by butterfly36 »

Hi - I'm very much a newbie in terms of the 11+ having only recently decided this IS something we would like our dd to do - we are thinking of ideally trying her for Chelmsford CCHG - she is going into Year 4 this September - is it very naieve on our part to consider NOT getting her a tutor at all prior to sitting the 11+ (in just over two years' time) - she is very bright but would be putting her at a huge disadvantage 'not' sending her to an 'actual' tutor ie we would prefer to source practice papers/reference materials via the net etc and 'home coach' her a bit? Is this 'do-able'???? Any helpful/honest advice would be much appreciated.
yoyo123

Re: Is it possible to get through the 11+ without a tutor?

Post by yoyo123 »

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information on here to help you. Many people don't hire a tutor and prefer to DIY. have a nose round the site, we have a lovely forum , but there is a lot more to us!

Any problems just ask!

yoyo
moved

Post by moved »

Plan carefully, get her to read a great deal, including high-quality literature (not just J. Wilson!) This will help towards the VR.

You have plenty of time. Play games such as Scrabble and Boggle. Have a good look through the forum and ask for help when you need it.

As Yoyo said many people do not employ a tutor. Be prepared to spend money on papers and I would suggest Bond Assessment books for both maths and English and you could start those gently this year.

When I tutored for the Essex 11+ I used to start in January of Year 5 with my pupils.
butterfly36

Post by butterfly36 »

Thanks very much indeed - any recommendations regarding resources would be welcomed - having had a look last night there is a WEALTH of books/papers you can buy...its quite overwhelming - are there any 'favourites' that I should veer towards over and above any others? Thanks so much for your help to date - its much appreciated.
moved

Post by moved »

Bond books are very good for English and maths. Lots of tests, you can start with easier papers and work up, reasonably cheap. VR needs to be multiple choice and 21 types. The VR thread on this site is very useful. Good luck.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

We self-tutored dd1 for about a year before the tests at Latymer and St Michael's in Finchley and highly recommend it. She gained a place at her 1st choice St Michael's and also came 23rd in the Latymer test.

It was quality time and the fact that we taught her and knew the work covered meant we knew EXACTLY where she was in relation to the anticipated cohort. I would recommend sitting a few mocks in the summer (Sutton Grammar and the Redbridge ones in Maths/NVR/English/VR) which can help with overcoming nerves).
mclm

Post by mclm »

Hi. We self tutored DD1, who did very well & got into CCHS. We did Bond books from Jan yr 5, but only 1/2 papers a week until the summer, then increased to 1 of each subject per week & finished off from mid September onwards with actual past papers. I wouldn't do actual papers until then, they are pretty tough & can demoralise if they're not ready. Preparing DD2 for this year's exam now.
Do your homework and plan your intended progress, this forum is great for advice & the CSSE site tells you what you need to know. Lots of other resources on the internet too.
Be prepared that your child will get peer pressure from those that are being tutored - they all compare notes in the playground & there is the urban myth that you can't get in without a tutor !

Good luck with whatever you decide.
butterfly36

Post by butterfly36 »

mclm (and others) thank you so much for your help - as you are familiar with the process of applying for CCHS, could you tell me what papers they actually sit? Am I right that its 50% verbal reasoning, 25% maths and 25% non verbal reasoning? (ie do they not do any english essay writing or similar?) thanks
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

50% verbal reasoning, 25% Maths and 25% English (comprehension and grammar).
There is no non-verbal reasoning.

The last 2 years papers can be purchased from the CSSE.
mclm

Post by mclm »

Butterfly36,

As minesatea says, 25% is English - broadly comprehension (last 2 years have been text from "Captain Correlli's Mandolin" and "Bleak House") but with an understanding of language construct (identifying adverbs, synonyms, onomatopoeia, etc) and grammar / spelling also.

VR is multiple choice, the English and Maths are not.

Getting the past papers are the best way to see what you're dealing with & help you make a decision on tutoring or not.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now