Southend Grammar Schools.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sahara

Southend Grammar Schools.

Post by sahara »

Hello there, I am new to this forum and am finding it very helpful. Could anyone clarify a few points for me?

I am in borough and presume a score of 303 will be needed to get a place at the grammar school. This will only be definite at Westcliff Girls if the number passing in borough is less than 115 for this year.
As 2011 had only 41 admissions in borough, would I presume that the figure has been this low every year or would someone know the exact figures?

Secondly, are out of borough just taken in order of highest pass mark first, until remaining places are filled or is there a minimum mark?

Finally, if I put SHSG AND WHSG as 1st and 2nd pref and my daughter fails, are my 3rd, 4th and 5th prefs then moved up to 1,2 and 3 positions for allocation?
kaynor

Re: Southend Grammar Schools.

Post by kaynor »

Hi sahara, I will try to answer your questions, perhaps some of our more experienced forum members can correct/clarify if required.

For all in catchment girls or boys applying for any of the Southend grammars they need to a min' standardised/weighted score of 303 which means they have to achieve at least a 50 to 55% average mark. They offer up to about 115 places (varies slighty by school) but they must achieve the minimum 303 score, the actual number therefore admitted each year varies depending on performance and number of applications.

For out of borough they take the highest mark first but they would never take any score less than 303. As a general guide approximate 330 (65% average) will guarantee a place at any of the grammars.

For the school pref your assumptions are correct.

Hope this helps.
sahara

Post by sahara »

Thank you for your reply.
Would anyone know if the in borough passes for the last few years have ever reached the 115 figure?
If they are hovering below 100 on average it would mean that my daughter's chances are increased as long as she can achieve 303.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Looks like only SHSB ever get near their reserved in borough figure of 125

The other grammars end up with an in borough intake <100

Would not worry to much about intake numbers just list the schools in your order of preference
sahara

Post by sahara »

After speaking to a Mum yesterday, she said that Westcliff Girls never take the full 115 in borough, they just cream off the top achievers and then take the rest out of borough.
Is this a playground myth?
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Another myth!! :) See extract from WHSG prospectus below.

"A pass mark for the examination is set annually which
ensures that the entrance standard remains comparable to that pertaining to the period 1990 to
1994. The school determines admission in the order of priority set out below.
Priority is given to those attending local primary and junior schools within a defined local
geographical area (a map is available on page 6) subject to their passing the entrance
examination. Each year a maximum of 115 places is reserved at this school for children in this
category. Places are allocated in order of the mark achieved, higher passing candidates first.
The school is “full” within the priority area when it has taken its full quota of 115 pupils or when
there are no more passing candidates who have listed the school as a preference."

They are legally obliged to take the full quota of local children providing they reach the standard which is clearly defined.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

she said that Westcliff Girls never take the full 115 in borough

This part may be true but the reason will be that there is not 115 girls in borough each year that pass and have Westcliff Girls as their allocated choice. For some reason Southend seems more popular with in borough children, and thus for those out of borough Westcliff is considered easier to get into.
sahara

Post by sahara »

poochie
Post subject: Re: Scores standadised by distance from school?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:26 am

For Southend Grammars the children attending a Southend priority school are entitled to the first 115 places in each of the southend grammar schools ,these are order of merit but this usually means the score of 303 is the lowest score that is offered a place. Even if you live in the priority area but do not attend a Southend primary school you are classed out of borough. SHSB always fills it places with in borough boys and that means only 45 places are available to out of borough boys. These are then allocated by order of merit relating to their score which is why SHSB is much harder to get a place as you need to rank highly. WHSB only fills around 60 to 70 in borough places so there are more out of borough places available and that is why boys with ranking of 220 have stood a chance of getting in . Distance has nothing to do with standardisation scores however this would come into play if two boys have the same score and is the last place left.

Are the 60 to 70 borough places at WHSB filled by high achievers only, or could these be ones hovering around the 303's?
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Allocation of places [in or out of catchment] is taken on order of merit, highest first. So you will have a range of scores for all the schools but not normaly less than 303.

Lowest score posted on the forum for an out of area place for this years intake was 321 for WHSG.

Just to clarify the 220 mentioned above is the ranked position on the list not the score.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now