Chelmsford County High versus Colchester Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Moonlight

Re: Chelmsford County High versus Colchester Grammar

Post by Moonlight »

Hi suffolkmum, my DS has been at CRGS for a year and has settled in really well. It is a fabulous school set in lovely surroundings and the school provides an excellent all-round education (academic, sports). There are also lots of social events to get involved with. I can't comment about KEGS but they seem to both hold extremely good reputations. KEGS is harder to get into but I think that's more because of its geographical location (easier access to London etc). They both achieve excellent GCSE results and, CRGS in particular, have had another hugely successful year with A Level results. Have a look at both schools and see what you think. It may just come down to what 'feels' right for your child in the end. Good luck.
crgsmum

Post by crgsmum »

Go and see them both. We didn't put KEGS on our CAF form, and our DS had a similar journey to both, because we just felt CRGS was more him. We didn't not like KEGS but just were blown away by CRGS. At this level any difference in academic outcome is more about the intake than the teaching, in fact statistically I'm pretty sure WHSB adds much more value than either of the so-called super grammars if you look at exam results against intake.

Go to them both, if your son wants to do CCF then it will be KEGS, CRGS is better at rugby etc etc.

Don't worry about league tables and nos going to Oxford or Cambridge: pick the one you think he will enjoy the most.

I must admit one big factor for us was the Headmaster at CRGS but that said the Head from KEGS was in Germany on school visit at the open day we went to and we may have liked him too.

Go with your instincts, whichever your DS goes to will bring out the best in him but you want him to really enjoy it too.
moved

Post by moved »

We didn't visit the Colchester schools due to travelling time to London for OH. Chelmsford CHS has a reasonable number of girls who travel daily from Billericay so she would have company on her journey. DD has just started year 9 and I have been very impressed over the last two years.
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

We are in Billericay and my son is at WHSB. I know a number of children in Billericay who travel to the Chelmsford Grammars on the school buses, but only one who travels to Colchester. I don't think there is a school bus or a direct train to Colchester from Billericay (although I could be wrong!). This would certainly affect my decision as it's great for them to have local children to travel with. Both schools have such good reputations that the longer journey would possibly seem unnecessary if you can get into the nearer one.
Have you considered the Southend and Westcliff schools? The bus to WHSG takes approx 45 mins and the Billericay girls who go to SHSG get the train. Hope that helps.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now