Can you request from the CSSE a morning sitting??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SEP18

Can you request from the CSSE a morning sitting??

Post by SEP18 »

Hi,
I just wondered if anyone has done this before. The CSSE is closed this week but I thought I would ask to see if there is any hope.

Many thanks
Last edited by SEP18 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First-timer

Re: Can you request from the CSSE a morning sitting??

Post by First-timer »

When my DS sat it he was just allocated a sitting and no option was offered, but I would hope the CSSE would be able to accommodate you. It would probably be an administrative nightmare if all parents were offered a choice but I think you have a very sound reason. I'd definitely give them a call. Even if you are told they can't guarantee a morning sitting, you may find that you are *ahem* coincidentally allocated one as a result of your call.

Even if your DC is tested in the morning, you may still find it a bit of a squeeze making the coach. Depends on where your test centre is and where your DC's departure point is. They don't leave the hall the moment the exam stops. There is a little bit of hanging around and then you need to get out of the car park.Factor in the Christmas shopping traffic too. You might need a back-up plan to (say) meet the coach at one of its comfort stops.

Hope it works out well for you. What a packed weekend your DC is going to have! :)
kegsteacher

Post by kegsteacher »

Have you considered the alternate sitting? As memory serves it is the 30th November. I'm afraid I don't know how you go about arranging it but know that about 50 do the alternate at KEGS each year.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

I've just edited my post as it does make me quite easy to work out with some other parents at the same School. I didn't think about that!!

First-timer - I think I might give it a go and ring the CSSE, like you said, you never know if they might be more favourable by accident rather than deliberation. Fingers crossed.

Kegsteather - Thanks for the information - I might have a word with DS and see what he thinks about sitting it later.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Thought you could only have the alternate sitting if you could prove illness, bereavement etc?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

kaynor wrote:Thought you could only have the alternate sitting if you could prove illness, bereavement etc?
I thought this too. Good luck to your DC SEP18. :D
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

You haven't said where your son is sitting the exam. I think I'm right in saying that Westcliff only have a morning sitting if that is any help, although I don't know how early it starts. I know that the KEGS exam has always been split alphabetically with the surnames at the beginning of the alphabet in the morning- are you lucky enough to have one of those?!
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I know of a boy with a P surname who was allocated a morning sitting at CRGS so I don't think all schools split the candidates in this way. Unless there were a lot of names from Q to Z that year.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Yes it does seem to vary.

Colchester County High had an early and mid morning sittings last year and these did seem to be alphabetical but CRGS don't unless they do it in reverse, my sons year I know an R who had the morning and 2 C's and an M had the afternoon.
I don't think you have to sit the exam at your first choice school so would any of the others (must be correct sex) make the situation any easier?
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

Fran17 wrote:
kaynor wrote:Thought you could only have the alternate sitting if you could prove illness, bereavement etc?
I thought this too. Good luck to your DC SEP18. :D
Thank you Fran17, very kind words.

Just a little update ......

I e-mailed the CSSE yesterday with my situation. They have responded with some fairly positive news. Whilst they cannot guarantee a morning sitting, they will put in a special request upon receipt of the paperwork concerning the competition.

I have thought about the alternate sitting but do feel that the competition should not postpone the 11+ sitting. He is ready to sit the exam and I would not wish to change the date unless of illness, of course.

Thank you for your replies everyone, fingers crossed now for the morning sitting!!!