GL VR papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
madnan

GL VR papers

Post by madnan »

Hi

Can anyone enlighten me on why the GL practice packs contain VR papers with 85 rather than 80 questions when these appear to be the nearest we can get to the 'real thing'? As they are still intended to be 50 min tests I can only assume that the questions are meant to be at a lower level - and thus make comparison with previous years' results a bit difficult.

The sample paper in the CSSE pack is an 80 question paper but is the only example we have. It doesn't appear to me to be significantly more challenging but does anyone know whether we can get hold of any more please?

Ty
scary mum

Re: GL VR papers

Post by scary mum »

I think Patricia usually recommends crossing the last 5 out, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise you best for wherever you live. DS did the Susan Daughtrey "Bright Sparks" papers ( not sure they are called that any more), which are close to the real thing (at least in Bucks). My DS found them quite difficult so when he went back to the GL ones he could easily do 85 questions in 50 minutes. I think I read that some new GL ones have 80 questions, but I may be mistaken.
scary mum
madnan

Post by madnan »

Thanks for reply. I did consider just losing last 5 but it didn't feel like it ought to work that way! It's not particularly about getting through them in the time - sometimes she easily does, other times not - it's more about whether they're a comparable standard. Don't want her to be faced with something that's the next level of difficulty when we thought we were using material of an equivalent standard. We've got the Bond ones too but they have different types of questions included and, although ok for practice on time management, they don't always feel that useful. Might see if I can get hold of a Bright Sparks for comparison. Thanks
moved

Post by moved »

I remember that I found at least 5 very dodgy questions in each paper and put a line through them. However, an extra 5 questions in practice will free up that time in the real exam.
madnan

Post by madnan »

I can see the time benefit of using a longer practice paper but have you generally found they are a similar level of difficulty to the 80 question papers?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I would say from my DC's that they are similar to the Bucks ones with the Susan Daughtry being slightly more difficult, but I don't know about Essex.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now