How does the Dyslexia child cope in grammer school?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dyslexia!!!

How does the Dyslexia child cope in grammer school?

Post by Dyslexia!!! »

My child has Dyslexia. However she got a place in a grammer school by her extreme hard working. Does anyone know a child with Dyslexia coping in a grammer school?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

If you haven't already done it, you may find reading these topics useful

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=40

Best wishes

Catherine
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm sure your child will be fine. I would make an appointment to see the SENCo before September to ensure the staff are aware of the support needed.

Has she got a statement? If so the transfer is easier. Don't despair if not. As a former Grammar school SENCo , I can assure you the school is probably used to supporting children with dyslexia.

Perhaps this could be moved to SEN section?
Dyslexia!!!

Thanks!

Post by Dyslexia!!! »

Thank your for all your replys. My child hasn't got a statment. Could you tell me how to arrange the assessment for her?

Post by Guest »

I presume if she is not statemented she might not have been given extra time during her 11+ exam which makes her success even more remarkable. My daughter is also dyslexic but was given extra time and just missed the required pass mark. She thankfully got through on appeal. She is going to a Bucks grammar and they were very helpful when I spoke to them earlier in the year and have clearly had much experience in helping dyslexic pupils reach their potential. Good Luck.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can get extra time for exams without a statement - presumably you have had an assessment to know she is dyslexic?

It might be too late to get extra time for the KS2 NC tests - ask the school whether they think she needs statementing. Many children don't go through this [it quite a palaver!] but the can be on the SEN register at 'School action' [school can provide all extra help she needs] or 'school action plus' [support from external professionals needed as well].

Come back to us if you need more help - my child also has special needs but is thriving at a Bucks Grammar!
Dyslexia!!!

Post by Dyslexia!!! »

Thanks! :) I have a parent meeting on this Tuesday. I will concern it to her classroom teacher. Could you give me some idea about asking on this?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now