Help - not feeling well!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ahap

Re: Help - not feeling well!

Post by ahap »

Thanks for your advise everyone. I do have worries like colchesterdad. I will let you know what we did tomorrow.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Sending my best wishes to all the children who are poorly right now and are hoping to sit the exam tomorrow. It is an awful dilemma to be in and one which, as parents, I am sure you could rather do without!

It is a difficult decision to postpone because, as Ahap rightly says, your child could be ill again on the next exam date. It really does come down to what you think is best for your child and how they will cope with feeling poorly and the demands of the day. Not an easy decision to make.

Ahap - you are doing all the right things for your son and Calpol will be a very good idea tomorrow morning.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

My dd is taking the test tomorrow at Chelmsford Girls & is struggling with mysterious tummy aches this week, which I have put down to exam anxiety so I will dose her with Neurofen syrup in the morning.

I have looked at both letters received from CSSE & CCHSG & both state to contact the CSSE office or the test centre 'in the event of travel difficulties, illness or any problem which is likely to prevent the candidate from taking the test at the specified time'.

It also goes on to say 'If you are at all uncertain about your daughter's health on the day of the test please withdraw her by contacting the test centre direct.'

The CCHSG letter says their switchboard will be open from 8am to 4.30pm on the 19th, so I imagine all the test centres switchboards will be similarly open.

Good luck to all the children taking the test tomorrow or on the 30th & hugs to all their parents.
Clarabelle
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

It is awful when this happens. My middle DS wasn't well. I kept him off school the day before. On the morning of the exam we really weren't sure whether to go ahead or not but he really wanted to do it and we decided to let him. I gave him some calpol about an hour before the test was due to begin and sent him in with a couple of packets of tissues. I did tell one of the officials and asked if that was ok. I do think some adrenaline kicked in and he did perk up until after the exam. When I took him to see the doctor on the Monday he had sinusitus and a throat infection and she gave him antibiotics. Thank goodness it didn't seem to affect his performance as he did very well.

Do whatever you think is best. If you don't think your DC are up to it, cancel.

I will be thinking of you and keeping everything crossed. Wishing your DCs the best of luck and hope they all feel better.
ahap

Post by ahap »

DS did it today. Now.. the long wait. Thanks again everyone.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I was thinking of your DS today ahap and so glad he was well enough to go through with it. Congratulations to him. :D
sahara

Post by sahara »

If he just has a cough and cold don't worry, as he came out with it Wed, yesterday would tend to be when he is at his worst and maybe this morning. Sleep might be worse Wed and Thurs night. With my children, I find day 3 of a cold is when you are coming out of it, any headaches and temperatures will be passed.
Hopefully he may just have runny nose and a bit of a cough, but will probably feel quite strong. Hope I have been a help.

Ahap, was this the case? I was hoping he would be strong enough on the day.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Thanks Fran17, I appreciate it, very kind of you.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Yes sahara, Thanks, He was okay, sponged off all the dry skin with cream and warm water, on his nose the night before, that also helped him breath normally. Steaming as well, He, my DH and I felt that he was fit enough to take the test.
colchesterdad39

Post by colchesterdad39 »

Well just to update you all, my DS couldnt take the test on saturday. We had lots of tears but eventually he admitted that he wouldnt have done himself justice. He will now take the test on the 30th. I cant help feeling that he will be disadvantaged by doing a different test , but he wasnt well so all we can do is hope. It would make me feel better if anyone could tell me of there own experience in the past of taking the alternate date and getting offered a place! thanks again for all your kind words and I hope everyone that took saturdays test is nicely relaxed now its over.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now