Which test was hardest for your children yesterday?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mclm

Re: Which test was hardest for your children yesterday?

Post by mclm »

madnan wrote:If anybody knows what the English text was please PM me - it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out from the snippets of information my DD remembers! I'm just curious, but the curiosity may drive me mad before 30th!!
Don't know what the text was, but was apparently better than previous papers (Tess & Bleak House to name just 2). DD thought maths was probably the trickiest paper, but all in all ok.
Last edited by mclm on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

My dd hasn't wanted to talk about the exam, but she did say the English was the hardest of the 3 papers for her, which we expected as this is her weakest area. She also said she didn't finish any of the 3 papers but felt she did well with the VR questions she answered. Having said that time management has always been a huge issue for her & she sat the exam in a room by herself. I was extremely proud of her managing to attempt all 3 papers on Saturday since we had arranged in advance that she had the option to take the VR paper on the 30th. All in all I was pleasantly surprised with how well she coped with such a stressful morning.
Clarabelle
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

mclm wrote:
madnan wrote:If anybody knows what the English text was please PM me - it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out from the snippets of information my DD remembers! I'm just curious, but the curiosity may drive me mad before 30th!!
Last edited by SEP18 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arsen

Post by arsen »

Zee Zee mum - I think given that your daughter has confirmed along with my son, and I have just spoke to another friend and although a her memory was a little hazy - her daughter also was convinced that there were 15 questions - we can probably safely assume that there were indeed 15. So perhaps we can all stop worrying about that - I think they probably changed the format this year - which was nice of them!!! Lets hope for the best - but the truth is what is done cannot be undone now - so fingers crossed for us all!
Last edited by arsen on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vasu

Post by vasu »

My son thought VR was easy, Maths was not tough but tricky. English was the real googly( cricket term)!!!!! He finishes his English paper but cannot judge how well he did.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
rhubarbcrumble

Post by rhubarbcrumble »

Hi Notley Parents

I wasn't in any way shape or form having a pop about tutoring!! Honestly! :) My daughter was indeed tutored for 11 months (1 hour per week paid for by grandad) and of course we did a bit extra at home. What I meant was that I have heard of some totally ridiculous situations whereby children are literally tutored for 4 or 5 hours plus privately per week ON TOP of extra papers every day at home with parents for months on end. This is in addition to school homework.

Obviously each to their own, but I really feel if a child requires that amount of tutoring, will they actually be able to cope in a grammar? I suspect not.

Wasn't being difficult...truly... :)
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

My DD goes to Colchester, they were put in sets for maths for year 8.
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

rhubarbcrumble wrote:Hi Notley Parents

I wasn't in any way shape or form having a pop about tutoring!! Honestly! :) My daughter was indeed tutored for 11 months (1 hour per week paid for by grandad) and of course we did a bit extra at home. What I meant was that I have heard of some totally ridiculous situations whereby children are literally tutored for 4 or 5 hours plus privately per week ON TOP of extra papers every day at home with parents for months on end. This is in addition to school homework.

Obviously each to their own, but I really feel if a child requires that amount of tutoring, will they actually be able to cope in a grammar? I suspect not.

Wasn't being difficult...truly... :)

Thats ok Rhubarb no offence taken. I just wish there were more schools for those that dont quite get in, its an unfair system.
shagor21

Post by shagor21 »

Zeezeemum wrote:That was also my initial reaction arsen and as I couldn't get much out of her that was slowly confirming my fears as she was not the happiest after the exams that is why I'm so desparate to find out what the marks are out of so I could know whether to just write off Maths!!
Hi Zeezeemum& Arsen,
Are you saying that there were 15 questions for Maths? According to my son there were 20 questions and 7 pages including the cover page. Invigilator at hall counted all pages with kids, page by page and asked if any one is missing any page.

Thanks.
arsen

Post by arsen »

shagor 21 - which sitting did you dd sit? I wonder if there was a difference between the morning and afternoon sitting? Only because now I have had confirmation from three kids that there were 15 questions. I am now worried again!!!! my son also said they went through page by page - but I was worried when he said it ended at 15 as past papers have always had 20 or so. He said that there were lots of parts to each question and since then two other friedns have said it was 15. How can we be sure? I spoke to CSSE and they are not willing to say anything. There were 20 questions on English according to my son.