Thinking of giving up

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

laluna

Thinking of giving up

Post by laluna »

Dd is preparing for next year's exam. She visits a tutor for one hour per week and we do an additional hour (approx) at home. Her tutor is positive about her progress and notes her strength in English and VR. But the maths is a real struggle. We are working through Bond papers and general KS2 material but she lacks motivation and is finding it hard to retain basics such as prime numbers, squares, cubes etc. She has always been very keen to work towards ColCHS but this isn't equating to her actual preparation at the moment. It is starting to feel like a battle (more so on the lack of maths progress rather than anything else) and I always said that if this was the case we wouldn't persevere.

She just needs so much help with the 11+ type ques (the basics are ok ish) I can't see things clicking and I just can't anticipate her making the grade. Not sure if it's worth the stress..... :-(
Sally-Anne

Re: Thinking of giving up

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi laluna

Take a look through the Maths section of the forum, especially for posts by Guest55 and yoyo123 (you can search for them - top RH corner for the Search facility). They have given some fab links to maths websites before now, using the computer is so much more fun than doing workbooks, and maths is a subject that really lends itself to online learning.

I will try to send Guest55 your way shortly. :D

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi there - as Sally-Anne says do try some games to help her Maths.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good place to start.

The BBC has http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks2bitesize/maths/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd give the workbooks a break and try these.

What level is her Maths at the moment?
laluna

Post by laluna »

Thanks for the information and taking time to reply. It is hard to estimate an overall level as in some aspects, she is confident, and certainly more competent, than others. Eg, data handling, statistics and the basics of the 4 operations are fine - its the application she lacks really and knowing which approach to take.
moved

Post by moved »

I have sent you a pm
sargul

Post by sargul »

woodlands primary school website is great but if you could purchase Maths watch that helped my daughter leaps and bounds! its simple clips which dont even last long and my daughter loved it and because she liked it at one point thats all she wanted to do! and it explains it so well and then reinforces it by letting then have a few questions to do and explaining it agin in checking the answers! best buy ever!

ps last jan my daughter didnt know her times tables by the time she took her test in nov she could argue a gcse maths question with teens and be correct to the point they would ask her if their working outs and answers where correct!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now