CHELMSFORD COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Guest123 & Bingo

Thanks for your info. When we visited last year I thought it seemed really friendly, I had gone with a 'not sure' view having fallen in love with Southend the year before, my daughter then fell in love with chelmsford and the fact the bus goes an hour later than Southend was a bonus. I had an odd comment though the other day, thankfuly not in front of my daughter regarding the 'stress' and 'eating disorders'! Not sure what the motive was and I managed to adopt a 'puzzled' face and make my escape.

Post by Guest »

Gerry wrote:Guest123 & Bingo

Thanks for your info. When we visited last year I thought it seemed really friendly, I had gone with a 'not sure' view having fallen in love with Southend the year before, my daughter then fell in love with chelmsford and the fact the bus goes an hour later than Southend was a bonus. I had an odd comment though the other day, thankfuly not in front of my daughter regarding the 'stress' and 'eating disorders'! Not sure what the motive was and I managed to adopt a 'puzzled' face and make my escape.
Can I ask who made that comment? It is usually from people that have "heard" that but don't actually have a daughter there! We were the same when we looked at schools. We took our daughter in year 5 and 6 to see if her opinion had changed. We loved Southend (particularly the head there) but she was adamant she wanted Chelmsford and I was impressed with the amount of effort the school put into the open evenings (for some reason I thought as they are in such high demand, they wouldn't try to impress, but I was wrong). I haven't noticed any stress in my daughter but I am sure when it gets to GCSE, the kids do get stressed - it is the same in all schools. I actually worried that the school would be too much for my daughter - she is bright but I was worried that the other girls would be exceptional. In fact, we now think it is absolutely the right school for her. She is confident and enthusiastic and looks forward to going to school every day. Year 6 for her was a struggle - she was bored and lost interest. Good luck to your daughter.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

The comment came from a person whose child is going to the local school where ' she'll have local friends and not get stressed' implying my child's friends won't be local and she'll get stressed, I'm not even going to enter into this and it made me hide a smile when this person asked my duaughter ' aren't you really worried about going to a school where you won't know anyone' daughters reply, 'no, it'll be cool meeting new friends'. Seems other people are a lot more concrened about it than she is, a bit like 11+ day,no nerves smiles going in & coming out although I sat in Starbucks close to tears. I'm glad your experiences of the school are positive and hopr your daughter is thriving there.
loulou

Post by loulou »

this person asked my duaughter ' aren't you really worried about going to a school where you won't know anyone'
Why do some parents have to be so nasty?
daughters reply, 'no, it'll be cool meeting new friends'.
Well done that girl!!

Post by Guest »

Gerry wrote:Guest123 & Bingo

My daughter is in year 7 at the High school. I too have had people make comments since my daughter was awarded a place there. The comments have always come from those who either don't agree with grammer education or who know that their child would not get an offer because they are either not academically the same way as my daughter. There is a right school for every child, and yes, if a child is notvery bright, then they would not be happy in that enviroment. But then they would not be there in the first place. I only know of two cases that were not happy, and both those children had been very heavily tutored to pass the 11+, but once there could not cope without a continuous tutor. But this is a minority. I am proud of the fact that she is there, (she was not tutored to get there, she did it off her own back), and know one is going to take that pride away.
Angela

Happy year 10

Post by Angela »

Firstly, congratulations to all the girls that have just gained a place at CCHS. I have a daughter in year 10 who's enthusiasm for school grows with each day she goes. She absolutely loves it at CCHS and although the workload is quite heavy in year 10, sufficient time is always given to complete the work. There always seems to be something fun going on at school to balance the equation.
Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Gerry wrote:The comment came from a person whose child is going to the local school where ' she'll have local friends and not get stressed' implying my child's friends won't be local and she'll get stressed, I'm not even going to enter into this and it made me hide a smile when this person asked my duaughter ' aren't you really worried about going to a school where you won't know anyone' daughters reply, 'no, it'll be cool meeting new friends'. Seems other people are a lot more concrened about it than she is, a bit like 11+ day,no nerves smiles going in & coming out although I sat in Starbucks close to tears. I'm glad your experiences of the school are positive and hopr your daughter is thriving there.
I had a feeling it would be from someone whose daughter doesn't go there - it is always the same! Your daughter dealt with the question very well! I must admit it was some of the comments that made me a bit worried about how my daughter would cope. You really have nothing to worry about - it is a lovely school - they nurture and encourage the girls from day one. I am so glad my daughter did well enough to go there and she is thriving there and surprises me constantly with how well she is doing. There are definitely exceptional girls there but they are nice girls who are just naturally gifted. Ignore all the negative comments - the so called "experts" on CCHS never seem to have children there!!!!
Guest456

Post by Guest456 »

Just to add my feelings, my son has gained an out of borough place at WHSB and both before the 11+ and on results day, the negative reactions from some people has been astounding - "do you really know what you are doing?" - Yes, it was at times difficult, but worth the effort! "Aren't you worried he won't know anyone?" - No, our son is so excited to be going to a good school and is looking forward to meeting new friends. "He's going to find that journey difficult" - school bus journey time is about 20/25 minutes, but the bus does stop elsewhere.
If we had listened to other people and his teacher, who incidentally said that did we realise that Grammar school was a 7 year commitment? Sorry, I thought that having a child was a lifetime commitment!!!!
chelmsfor mum

Post by chelmsfor mum »

hi there all

just had a letter this morning re;pe kit
list of essential items
list of optional items
the optional list appears to include 3 different types of trainers, i know they are optional? but are they necessary, also lists hockey stick, tennis racket, are these provided by school or do most children have own?
essential items come to just over £72 if i buy one of every thing, and the optional items come to £110 if i also buy one of everything on the optional list. i dont mind if they need it and will use them but can anyone already there advise if i should purchase items or wait and see what she needs as she goes.
also is one of everything enough? do they bring pe kit home for washing or does it stay at school?
Guest123

Post by Guest123 »

My daughter has coped fine with one pair of trainers. We did not purchase a hockey stick and my daughter has used the school ones with no problems. However tennis starts next term and they do need a tennis racket so you could wait till next easter to purchase one of those.

As far as number of items. WE bought one of everything and this has been fine. The kit can be brought home to wash when you need to as you can see on the timetable when the next PE session is. Just as an aside, my daughter is more musical than sporty so you may need the advice of someone whose daughter is involved in lots of school sports if you think that is important as I am not sure about out of school activities and whether you need more kit to cover this.

Hope this was helpful.